mikefxu: 96 CX hatch w/ EX trans 30mpg. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

mikefxu: 96 CX hatch w/ EX trans 30mpg.

New
Now that I have a ScanGauge1 I have a better idea of my gas mileage. I have been getting 35-37+ MPG to and from my trip to work. This is at 55-60 MPH unless I draft a semi then I keep constant speed up to 70 MPH and get the same or better MPG. I haven't done a tank average yet but it will be lower since I deliver pizza in the evenings for some extra cash. While I am delivering I usually get 33 MPG and only have about a 4 mile max each way trip for each delivery. I forgot to mention before 96-00 CX Civics have manual steering and I have my A/C system removed to the firewall. I cannot drive with windows up since I live in Florida and its already too hot with both windows down. Before the summer ends I am putting in a new clutch, flywheel (possibly lightened), motor mounts. My clutch slips if I give it WOT, my flywheel has 400k on it and I think that its causing the clutch to lose grip prematurely (clutch replace with engine), and my motor mounts are completely shot and they cause my tranny to pop out of gear if I let of gas too quick in 3rd and 5th.

Old
I travel 30miles each way on the interstate Mon thru Fri here in Florida. My 1996 Midori Green hatch has over 400k on the odometer. I bought the car blew the engine and replaced it. I changed out my trans a month ago since it was about dead but used a EX since that is what I wanted when I bought it a year ago. I now regret going to EX trans 3000RPM 70MPH does horrible for gas mileage. I have driven like grandma all week keeping it from 60 - 65MPH on the interstate but still just get a tad over 30MPG. I have decided its not worth it driving slow in my car if I can't get significant gains. I had planned on buying a Integra at the end of the year but have changed my mind and want to get a VX, if one can be found unmolested or just buy a 1992-2000 Civic and swap a 92-95 CX/VX transmission into it. Thats about it besides my car has a header with no cat and a shortram intake. I think if I drove like grandma when I had the CX trans I would have gotten really good mpg but I pushed the car hard.

You guys have a awesome forum here.

mikefxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:19 AM   #2
Driving on E

Welcome Mike. I'm certain

Welcome Mike.

I'm certain you can find a good civic VX down in Florida. Take your time when searching for one.

Tell us more about yourself. What motivates you to increase your fuel economy? Has it always been a goal, or is it a recent development?

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

short ram intake will kill

short ram intake will kill your mileage. All it does is let more air inside the engine and the engine compensates with more fuel.

I lost a wager to Matt when I said my car could get 40mpg. I had my short ram intake on and it sucked fuel and I only got 31.4mpg

I put the stock intake back on and now I'm in the high 30's

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

Re: mikefxu: 96 CX hatch w/ EX trans 30mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefxu
Thats about it besides my car has a header with no cat and a shortram intake. I think if I drove like grandma when I had the CX trans I would have gotten really good mpg but I pushed the car hard.
Do you have place for the O2 sensor in that header? No O2 sensor = low MPG.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:16 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefxu
Thats about it besides my car has a header with no cat and a shortram intake. I think if I drove like grandma when I had the CX trans I would have gotten really good mpg but I pushed the car hard.
Even if he does the second 02 sensor has to be after the cat now because most headers eliminate the pre cat.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:37 AM   #6
Registered Member

Wouldnt do much good after

Wouldnt do much good after the cat.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

Re: Welcome Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Tell us more about yourself. What motivates you to increase your fuel economy? Has it always been a goal, or is it a recent development?
No really when I had the CX trans I hated the gearing and drove the car pretty hard. I had plans to turbocharge the car. I am a long time member at http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum . I had started collecting parts to turbocharge my car but then I got a girlfriend and moved out on my own so I sold the parts, cause money was better spent else where. I bought the EX trans about a year ago because at the time I had plans to turbocharge the car. The CX trans started sounding like a bucket of marbles so I had to change it out to the EX. I think in the long run I still want to turbocharge the car and get a VX for a daily driver. My motivation is some monatary and some the enjoyment of DIY. I am 23 and have replaced replace the engine in my former 89 Accord LXi, replaced the engine in my 96 Civic CX, replaced the trans in my former 91 CRX, and replaced the trans in my 96 Civic CX. I enjoy working on my vehicles and get satisfaction from fixing and impoving my own vehicles. So I would say the MPG increase is a recent development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
short ram intake will kill your mileage. All it does is let more air inside the engine and the engine compensates with more fuel.

I lost a wager to Matt when I said my car could get 40mpg. I had my short ram intake on and it sucked fuel and I only got 31.4mpg

I put the stock intake back on and now I'm in the high 30's
Well I use to have a cold air intake but almost hydrolocked my engine. I was a ebay CAI and hung to low. I went through a puddle and my engine stumbled when the filter became saturated with water. I hop out of the car in the rain and used a dime to undo the clamp and turned it into a WAI on the spot and have left it like that. I don't have the stock intake so I cannot test your claims. I don't think I would repurchase the stock intake until my current filter becomes dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Yes there is a spot for the primary but since I no longer have a cat I have the secondary in open air which keeps from setting of the check engine light. My gas mileage was going down hill and replaced the primary O2 and regained what I lost.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:08 AM   #8
*shrug*

Well, I would say to get

Well, I would say to get some y8 exhaust and stick a cat on there, it's easily done and the benefits I would say are quite great.

I think this is our first HMT user around, hmm. I'd go pick up a d16y5 if I were you.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:10 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Well, I would say to get some y8 exhaust and stick a cat on there, it's easily done and the benefits I would say are quite great.

I think this is our first HMT user around, hmm. I'd go pick up a d16y5 if I were you.
I don't see how a cat will benefit me besides more exhaust restriction. I would like an HX Civic but they are hard to come by and people want good money for them hence my wanting a VX. Plus I already own a EK civic and have never owned a EG civic and would like to.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:13 AM   #10
Registered Member

for fuel economy you want

for fuel economy you want more restriction. A header even with a stock intake will suck more air. Put the cat in, you'll lose 8-10hp but you'll gain some fuel economy.

« FFI | maxc »