New Guy - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

New Guy

Hey everyone. I was recommend to join up over here by a friend, (here's a hint, he's a cow) to basically provide my input and results. I'm not the hypermiling type, but I do like my vehicles to be as efficient as possible. I have some background in aeronautics from a previous job, but now mostly stick to new product design and prototyping. Currently in my garage are two vehicles, one being an '88 Porsche 944 Turbo that currently has a blown headgasket, and an '89 Chevrolet Silverado that I daily drive. In my spare time I'm always tinkering with one or the other.

Currently the truck gets driven 145 miles per day during the week, and more often than not several hundred miles on the weekends. I've considered the idea of buying something newer and better on fuel, but a more pressing concern is buying a home, so that takes precedent over a shiny new car. The truck is essentially a stock 2-door, shortbed two wheel drive. Right now it's lowered 3/5 and has a stock drivetrain. The only modifications are a late model PCM controlling the engine (5.7L throttle body-injected v8), which is running a GM lean-cruise bin that was never used in the States for emissions reasons. It has a few other components that came from late model vehicles. (exhaust, transmission, etc)

I know there are much more efficient options out there, but I'm more comfortable driving a truck on my commutes/trips. I burn through a few tanks of fuel every week since I drive so much, so I'm always tinkering with anything that might improve the economy. Some research into the oem programming has me leaning towards a warm air intake system, and with a speed density based tune I'm betting that will net more gains. I could go on for days about that subject. I'll lay out more details when I have more time to thoroughly explain what I'm getting at. Right now, on winter blend fuel I'm averaging 19.7-20.5mpg over 2-4 tanks of fuel per week. Back over the summer the best came in at 21.5, all hand calculated. (and no "creative accounting" used)

Sorry for the novel, onto all that matters!

SarkOzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: New Guy

I can vouch for this guy, he drives a LOT of miles, cares about FE, and is not afraid to get elbow-deep in a transmission or programming. When he mentioned that he's considering a warm/hot air intake I suggested he come here and start a gaslog.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome to the forum. We're all interested in anything you might know that will increase or FE or any ideas you'd like to discuss.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Lean Burn Mode

Welcome to the forum!

That's a nice clean looking truck. I like the green bow-tie.