New guy - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

New guy

Hello!
Just searching around the interwebs and found this site.
I'm currently rebuilding a D15Z1 Hond engine from my '95 Civic VX. I had a pb of 52 average mpg before I pulled it. The all original Florida car came with the original unopened engine and trans with exception of a new clutch. The car has 270k miles on it now.
The rebuild has been going well and my intention is to regularly hit 60mpg without any areo modifications to the car.
My engine modifications have been .50 over pistons that I have polished the tops on, new bearings, knife edged crank, new water pump (would love to figure out an electric water pump, and new oil pump. Working with a couple of other builders, we tightened the clearances to the crank and rods with oversized bearings and machined crank and rods. So I will be running 0-20 oil. Fingers crossed that goes well.
The head is currently on the bench and will be getting a little port matching and runner polishing. There are an incredible amount of casting errors in there. I'm sure the lack of turbulence will help a little as well. The head chambers will be getting a polish as well and valves recut.
The head gasket is a 2 layer bit as well. It'll just touch the compression up a bit. So will the head machining, but nothing drastic.
Factory injectors have been rebuilt and the converter is clean.
I was toying with the idea of running a hot air intake with a housing around the manifold. But there is quite the argument to either side of that.
So I'm here fo any other ideas. Is there anything you may think I could further improve on?
What say you about lighter flywheels?
My understanding is that they would be good for a lot of starts and stops but not beneficial for long causing speeds. Any facts out there?

Sorry for the long post from the FNG here.
Looking forward to some info.
Thanks!
Nick

Nismo514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:43 PM   #2
LDB
Registered Member

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have quite a project going on. The VX seems to be very popular in some groups. Post a pic or three when you get a chance.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome, Nick! Lots of useful discussions arounds
visorX is offline   Reply With Quote