New HX on the scene - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

New HX on the scene

Just bought a 97 civic HX with 104k miles on it; drove it from Arlington to OKC and got 52 MPG with no mods! The owner said timing belt and water pump were done at 90k. In the past day I have cleaned the EGR chamber (blocked on all HX's by 100k miles), Mobil 1 w/wix filter, Honda new MTF (shifts much better), Honda new power steering fluid, cleaned carbon off injectors (had to pull them for the EGR project anyhow), bled clutch fluid, changed brake fluid and some other small changes. Car drives much better now - hopefully I will see some MPG improvements as well. I have to admit I had a tailwind for that 52 MPG and did a little drafting as well!

My NSX can now become the garage queen.

GasSavers_Greengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
wtg green greengo

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
very nice!

thats only the beginning of how far you can take the hx btw.

what year is the nsx? i would love to have one... but aside from price, my wife wouldnt let me get a car with 2 seats. oh and speaking of the garage, why dont you put the cars up with gaslogs? ive always wondered how the nsx actually did for fuel economy on a daily commute.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

NSX, my dream car. One day I will have one. yeah I'd like to see the type of mileage your nsx gets.
smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Greating from Cincinnati

I just filled up for the first time after learning about hyperminling from your site. 47.2 MPG in mixed city and highway driving. I didn't think it was possible for a Civic HX to get more than the EPA estimates. I'm still practicing with hypermiling techniques, expecially coasting. Hoping for 50 someday.
mwplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Registered Member

My NSX gets around 27mpg with mostly highway driving. Lowest MPG is probably 23-24 MPG on a mostly city tank. Keep in mind this is premium gas. When working on the car, its apparent that the NSX is of superior build quality. The NSX is all aluminum alloy and no power steering which is probably why such an aggressively tuned engine can get decent gas mileage. It is a lot longer and wider than the civic although it probably weighs about the same. For those of you unfamiliar with the NSX, here is a good intro to the car: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...08022187&q=nsx

I have been fixing up the civic, trying to make it look more modern and new (NOT ricey). It looks pretty decent, but my fiancee still gets onto me as I am a doctor and driving the NSX seems more in line with my professional status than driving the civic. Oh well, the MPG's put a grin on my face anyhow. I just averaged 53.8mpg on a highway stretch!
GasSavers_Greengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
wow my civic takes premium too. and as you can see from my gas log, its not far from your nsx.

i should get one.