New Kia Seltos ! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-12-2021, 05:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

New Kia Seltos !

Just entered my first fillup. Looks like I won't be using the car's mileage computer. It was telling me I got 35.0 mpg on the tank. I know that's unrealistic for this vehicle, so I did a manual calculation. That one came out to 31.8 mpg.

Any other Seltos owners out there? What mileage have you been getting?

Kimchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome. I think all car's mileage computers are the same. On the Honda Jazz/Fit, we refer to it as the "Fibometer" (as in Fib - a trivial or childish lie).

Old 03-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
Welcome. I think all car's mileage computers are the same. On the Honda Jazz/Fit, we refer to it as the "Fibometer" (as in Fib - a trivial or childish lie).
Hehe...mine's fibbing, alright. Interestingly, the computer on my 2012 Soul was accurate to +/-1.0 mpg. If the tech could do it nine years ago, why not now?
Old 03-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

I don't think it is a case of can't do it. I think it is more a case of making the owner think the car is returning great mpg. Most owners don't bother to calculate and take the display as gospel.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

All depends on the car. My 2002 Honda insight's computer readout was almost 100% accurate, although that car's soul purpose was to save fuel. The one in my Peugeot constantly reads 3.5 MPG higher than actual, and I've only filled up my Audi once, but it read just 1.4 MPG higher than measured. Welcome to the forums by the way.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #6
LDB
Registered Member

Welcome to the forum. I've had a few cars and all seemed to have optimismeters as in reading optimistic. I don't pay much attention to it, just the numbers when I input on my fuelly app.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ugh...my second tank mpg was 34.6 on the computer and 32.2 for reals.

Fuel tank miles remaining is a joke. They've put so much of a safety factor in that it's useless.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:22 AM   #8
Registered Member

So...I tested the stupid safety factor baked into the miles-remaining calc before today's fillup. I drove 10 miles after hitting zero. The 13.2 gallon tank took on 12.33 gallons at the station. I could've gone another 20 miles on "reserve".

It looks like the car starts fudging the distance calc below half-tank. The readback drops faster than actual, gradually imposing a safety margin as the tank approaches empty. Oddly enough, if add the 20-mile "reserve" in the tank to the miles actually driven, it's very close to what the computer estimated at the previous fillup.

In other words, an "empty" tank on this car has about a gallon remaining. For me, that's an extra 30 miles.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:05 AM   #9
Registered Member

If you really want to find out how much fuel is left in your car, fill up a fuel can, keep it in your trunk and see how far you can go after the computer has 0 mile range. Best to do this alone in the car and plan for running out in a safe area. This is totally irresponsible, but a lot of fun.

The Mercedes I have still has a 100 miles of range on the highway after the fuel light comes on, it has about 40 miles of range after the on board computer says 0 mile range. I ran out a few times just to confirm. When I drive in the city I know that I have a lot less range than what range would be left on the highway.

The Mercedes is very conservative, the Honda Accord that I had ran out as soon as the fuel gauge needle touched the bottom.

There is a 0.13 Gallons difference between how much the Merecedes' fuel tank holds and how much fuel it allows me to put in it. There was probably fuel in the fuel pump and the fuel hoses.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hi there.

I am new to the page and need some advice.

I bought a 71 N600 about a year ago, and have been toying with the idea of making a little road course car. Originally I was going to swap it out with a CBR 1000 motor, but Ive seen that done before. I would like to do something unique, and thinking about building the original motor, and turbo'ing it. Does anyone know if the original motor would handle that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

n600j is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kia, seltos