New member 2004 Pontiac Vibe - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #1

New member 2004 Pontiac Vibe

I've been a member for a couple of weeks now, long enough to get my fuel usage data entered to establish a baseline. I've been developing my driving technique since I started buying my own gas some 45 years ago. The best tactic I've found is to plan my trip so I can leave early enough that I don't have to drive fast in order to arrive on time. I live on the plains of west Texas where there aren't a lot of hills and curves, and most roads are straight and the curves are banked. Wind is often a factor, and I allow extra time if i know I'll be facing a headwind so I can drive more slowly.

My car is a 2004 Pontiac Vibe-a Toyota Matrix in Pontiac disguise-with a 1.8 vvt-i engine and automatic transaxle. I bought the car new, have 81000 miles on it now, and haven't had to do any unscheduled maintenance on it yet. Looks like I might have to R&R the front brake pads in another 50000 miles or so. Most of my driving is rural, and I always coast to a stop if practical. The Vibe is tuned for performance, but it will get EPA estimated mileage with some effort. The biggest impediment is the cruise control. The slightest rise in the road while using cruise control will cause torque converter unlock and downshift, so I don't use CC unless I'm driving on a flat road.

I have a scangauge, and I installed a Protium Fuel Optimizer on 10/09/2007, and my gaslog will reflect any changes resulting from it's use. I'm looking forward to learning techniques that work for others and sharing any knowledge I have to help other members on gassavers.org.

Anyone desiring more information about the Vibe can get it at www.genvibe.com.

teamjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Supporting Member

TeamJDB -

Welcome to GS! I'm *very* happy to see another Vibe/Matrix here because I want to see how they perform.

Since you've had it 81K miles, how has the seating position felt? We had a neighbor with a Yellow Matrix who traded hers in because she didn't like the seating position. She's a bit tall, so that may have something to do with it.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
*shrug*

Welcome to the site, I wish you the best of luck.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #4

Seating position

The seating position is one of the things I like most about the car. I'm 6', and it seems that I sit high and have good visibility. I would like for the seats to be harder, but I guess I can't have everything.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Welcome aboard. Quick question: does the Protium Fuel Optimizer hook into the IAT or Map circuit, or is it something else? I'm an electro nerd at heart.

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:47 AM   #6

Bob it hooks into the MAF circuit, giving 3 basic settings: City, Highway, and Performance. The city and hwy settings have variable resistor controls, allowing adjustment. I've only driven about 50 miles since installation, but the scangauge shows quite an improvement in mpg. Time will tell............................
Old 10-12-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
Registered Member

Welcome to the site!

I have an 05 Matrix auto that I use for my job (Maine USPS Rural Carrier) and so far the vehicle has been great. I only have 21k or so miles on it now but am pleased with it.

Great interior room with rear seats folded down. Unfortunately I don't keep track of the mileage on paper because I thought it would e abysmal but every time I do fill up I calculate quickly in my head and it still manages to get low to mid 20s.

Great car name by the way!

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:16 AM   #8
Registered Member

went to that Protium web site and i don't understand which one you bought. how does it work?
boofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #9

Boofighter, it taps into the MAF circuit and allows regulation of the current from the Mass Airflow Sensor to the ECM, which in effect allows control of the fuel/air mixture. I'm sure they could explain it better at the Protium website, and they are friendly folks, so you shouldn't hesitate to ask them any questions you have. I intend to keep my gaslog updated so everyone can see the results.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamJDB View Post
Bob it hooks into the MAF circuit, giving 3 basic settings: City, Highway, and Performance. The city and hwy settings have variable resistor controls, allowing adjustment. I've only driven about 50 miles since installation, but the scangauge shows quite an improvement in mpg. Time will tell............................
Thanks for the info. I used to have a similar device on a Trans Am, and it worked pretty well. Too bad my Cavalier doesn't have a MAF, or I'd prolly try one out.

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote