New Member in SoCal w/ 97 Saturn SL - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-03-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

New Member in SoCal w/ 97 Saturn SL

Howdy all... I have a 97 Saturn SL sohc 5spd w/ over 127,000 miles... I have averaged about 40 mpg, and this past month after installing an aftermarket warm air intake assembly from AEM (advanced engine management), my average mileage has increased to btwn 42 and 43mpg. I have also read from a couple of Saturn forums that I can expect another 1 or 2 mpg if I install a less restrictive aftermarket muffler. Also from these forums, I learned that my stock steel saturn wheels weigh 18lbs each (hubcaps weigh ? extra), and I plan on replacing them with Koenig alloy wheels that weigh only 10lbs each.... I also wanna install a cruise control. I look foward to hearing anything I can from anyone on how I can improve my mpg. Thanks, Darren.

2Phaast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
*shrug*

Hey there! Welcome to the site. The exhaust and fe question is a tough one, you can always try it and see.

Don't waste you money on the konig heliums (I think those are the wheels you're thinking of), buy some LRR tires and a scanguage II!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Supporting Member

2Phaast -

Welcome to GS! What is the AEM warm-air-intake that you installed? I haven't heard of that.

Your manual SOHC has that WONDERFUL 5th gear ratio. I am looking to replace my DOHC 5th gear with same.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the input... Your'e right about the helium wheels.... What are LRR tires, and what is the scan gauge II? As for the warm air intake, it is basically a tuned aluminum air intake tube that replaces the plastic stuff... it also replaces the stock air filter box with a large diameter conical filter. Since the air tube is metal, it allows for better intake charge because the air going into the engine is not as warm as with the plastic parts. There is an even fancier intake the relocates the filter out of the engine bay and into the left wheel well, and that system is called a cold air intake assy, but it is subject to scavenging water from puddles because it so low. All these aftermarket systems are avail for most any vehicle. Mine cost less than $150.00, and I figured out it would actually save me money over the next 2 years based on the mpg increase and the cost of rising gas. Thanks again for the help.
2Phaast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Supporting Member

scangauge http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/ele...c/8426/?cpg=cj to is a mileage computer that figures your instant mpg. ypu can correct your driveing habbits very quickly with it. lrr is low rolling ressistance tires, these tires are rated to produce less friction and less drag. these come on some hybrids to give them just a little more of a boost on fe.