New Member w/ Gas Guzzler - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
Registered Member

What do you have for a transmission? My expectation is that it's a 3 speed automatic, without torgue lockup. I suspect Clencher probably has a 4 speed automatic, with torque lockup. Additionally, I think the 302 may be a better fuel economy engine than the 360 or bigger engines.

I had a 70 Ford Galaxy that had a 302 and it got about 19mpg on the highway. Really pretty surprizing for how boxy a shape the car was and how much it weighed.

One problem you have is that a 10% increase in mileage only amounts to 1.3 mpg, where if you were driving something with higher mileage, a 10% increase amounts to more like 3 or 4 mpg. However, you got to work with what you have and if you can improve it any, that is that much less your disposing of, in terms of $ into the tank.

One thing that always puzzles me, with myself, is how I can sink $50-$60 into a tank of gas, but spend 15 minutes futzing about spending $30 to purchase a good tool to do a job or spending a day trying to figure out not to have to spend the $30. Very fascinating phenomenon, heh.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
One problem you have is that a 10% increase in mileage only amounts to 1.3 mpg, where if you were driving something with higher mileage, a 10% increase amounts to more like 3 or 4 mpg. However, you got to work with what you have and if you can improve it any, that is that much less your disposing of, in terms of $ into the tank.
Buuuut, if he makes a 10% improvement, he may burn 100 gallons less in a year. A Metro with a 10% improvement only burns 20 gallons less... (13,000 miles per yr, Metro getting 65 mpg)

No matter how you slice it, though, driving a 13 mpg vehicle is a painful proposition...

Old 05-31-2007, 10:02 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
After all this time I still don't know what a PVC catch can is supposed to accomplish.
All I can figure out is that if you have enough blowby that you are blowing nasty stuff into the intake, the catch can collects it. I guess the thought is that if there is enough crud going into the intake it will eventually cause carbon deposits on a valve or in a cylinder.
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=766
Old 07-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Ol' Rusty? Wasn't Ol' Reliable good enough for you?
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
Registered Member

much better than my parents 454 dully. 11-12mpg, towing the camper... 5-6mpg. some quick fixes for pickups- easily remove the tailgate = 70+lbs less and no air drag. get rid of that heavy rear bumper and get one of those fiberglass bumper inserts unless your towing from the bumper hitch. just those 2 things and you should jump at least 2 or more mpg. i did the tailgate on my own and got 3mpg better, still working on the bumper part...

another thing I've just realized, get yourself ezpas (N.E. region has this) so you don't have to stop/go in the toll booth lanes. i coast down to the booths and keep going without stopping. their is also one ezpass toll on the main road where you can keep your 55+mph up without slowing down( i ran through one time around 80 ;0 )
ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:04 AM   #16
Registered Member

Well, I had a '92 Bronco with a 302 and AOD, and averaged 13.3mpg on rolling hills, with about 50% rural routes and 50% in-town, but like you, there is very little traffic here. On pure highway runs, I got a best of 18.5, but it usually was in the high 17's.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #17
Registered Member

What happened to your Focus?

Oh and I'm with Gary Palmer. Get a cheap Honda
B16CXHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B16CXHatch View Post
What happened to your Focus?
I totalled the Bronco last summer. The Focus is my current vehicle. I regret getting another modern, cumputerized, fuel-injected vehicle though.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #19
Registered Member

oh sorry dude, i meant Bubba's Focus. I know him from another forum.
B16CXHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #20
Registered Member

hmm well to start off it is a truck ment for towing (and it clearly shows when you only see a loss of 1mpg hauling a huge trailer) im not too framiliar with the engine in these things but do all routine mantinice on it. (air filter, PCV valve, run some fuel cleaner thru it, seafoam it, replace the O2 sensor if it has one, take off the TB and clean it out real good, replace all the vacum lines) some of thsoe you said you already have done so keep it up.

but the whole cat delete thing: keep it that way. if you dont have emmisions testing and it breaks, take it off...

since you have a high flow exhaust system now, install a high flow intake system: either try a K&N drop in filter or find a cold air intake off ebay (usually super cheap) it will allow the intake air enter easier/quicker. i installed one on my 4 banger truck and noticed a slight 1-2mpg increase. ive heard the bigger the engine the better mpg increases you see from the high flow intakes. it also has a small side effect of making your exhaust louder and have a bit more tourque. but you wouldnt be interested in that...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote