New Members: Welcome Thread - Page 13 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #121
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Welcome. Your car has a lot in common with my 1980 Buick Lesabre, which is on the same platform.

Generally, engine and other expensive modifications don't pay for themselves, so you do them for another reason, maybe because you need to replace a part anyway, or because you want to prove a point about fuel economy more than you want to save money. You might experiment with ignition timing and EGR...these are little bits of tinkering you can do under the hood.

By far the best modification I've done for fuel economy was putting in a 5 speed manual transmission. I did that hoping that it would pay for itself (and I'm pretty sure it has), but mainly because that's the way I want to drive the car.

The most important thing for you to do first is to track your fuel economy. You don't even know what you're getting yet.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #122
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

about 15 years ago I replaced the Turbo350 transmissions in my 81 Buick Regal and my 86 Chevy C10 with 4 speed overdrive models (Metric 400 for the Buick and Turbo 700R4 for the C10). I did get gains in economy, but not as much as I was hoping for. The transmissions were replaced when the T350's went out, so I was buying transmissions anyway. At this point I would love to convert those two vehicles to fuel injection, but I don't have the money for it right now.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #123

Hi all, new here but always like to get the best economy in my rides. I just came back on my first trip after break-in with my '12 Mazda 3i with skyactiv and set an ALL-TIME best for me, 53.1 mpg! Glad to find this place to find more ideas in saving gas.

Jim
vfrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #124
Registered Member

Well done. That's VX/hybrid territory!
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #125
Registered Member

Hi folks, new to this forum. Not an American but couldn't choose my country and region in the registration form so for now I live in Hawaii :-) but I am from the Netherlands and currently live in the Czech Republic.

My only car is Lada Niva from 2007 and my goal for 2013 is to reduce its consumption, which is currently 10 liters / 100 km. which I guess is roughly 2.6 gallons per 62 miles (23.8 mpg).

I am going to try and find a (DIY) kit to read the MPG consumption from my OB-II. If anyone has tips, I would be glad to hear them. Happy 2013!
LadaNiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #126
Site Team / Moderator

Welcome!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #127
Registered Member

new here

hello all my name is Butch and I have a ford f-150 so i need not talk about my fuel ecconomy. MY WIFE HAS A MATRICS AND GETS 30 on a consistent basis. Im looking for a crx hf with no mods and stick. if any have one they are interested in selling please respond.

Also what other cars are out there that are comparable to the hf??

loving what I am ready and look forward to more
Thanks for you hard work for this site.

thank
Butch
irollint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #128
Site Team / Moderator

Welcome! You can strive to get better mileage in whatever you drive. I can beat the EPA averages in my 1998 GMC K1500 4x4 with over 1,000 pounds in the back, a/c on, and the cruise set on 70 MPH.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #129
Registered Member

hi folks new member here ..my ride right now is a 2007 chevy aveo bought it brand new for $9095 good value its all paid off and it has about 51,000 miles on it.it gets about 38mpg highway (61km per gallon)..i can get a little better mileage out of it if i make sure i keep it at a certain speed (around 61mph/100kmh)check the air in the tires frequently etc.

i am hoping to get some advice to get even more out of it!looking forward to chatting it up!
xhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #130
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Manual or auto?

Of course the first thing to do is start a gaslog and read up on good fueling / logging habits so that you can know, as you try different things, what works and what doesn't.