New Members: Welcome Thread - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #71
Registered Member

Re: New Members: Welcome Thread

Hi, i just bought my first car, an 88 civic hb. It did unfortunately stop running, i was getting around 30 mpg, i am now planning to swap in a d15z1 engine, would appreciate any help that is given.

88hbfirstbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #72
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Welcome. That's an ambitious project for a first car!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcross View Post
Hi all,
I'm a new owner of an old CRX HF. 1989 with a for real 362000 miles on the clock. In the nearly two months that I owned this car, I've ranged between tanks that have delivered between 52 and 56 mpg. I'm slowly learning to work on and drive this thing, but enjoying both. Looking for help to keep it on the road, and meeting the people who know. RG
I used to have a 91 HF federal model with 238,xxx miles that give me 50-54 MPG. After I changed the engine/tranny to a California model it was putting out only 45-50 MPG. The california tranny however was better to drive around though, I just didn't like the tall gearing in the federal.
GasSavers_viperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #74

new VX owner introduction

I have read these forums quite a bit, have had a civic vx for 1.5 years and just joined forum.

My rides:

95 civic VX #1, red, 129,000 miles, I bought at 105Kmiles, kept gas records with Acar app, getting 45mpg over life of car, best two tank average was 60mpg on highways at 55-60mph. Only work so far is CV joints, new fromt discs and pads. Now has develped a problem with oil in the coolant reservoir. I have been worried it was the head gasget, but now think i shoudl start troubleshooting at the newly-discovered oil cooler...maybe it is crossing oil and coolant.

Civic VX #2 I have enjoyed mine so much, but got sick of the lack of A/C in the summer, that I sought out another VX. I found another one in Arizona with 80,000 miles, no rust, and A/C! Bought it last month, drove it back home. Still sitting in the yard, haven't even registered it yet.

VX#2 only got 40mpg over a 150 mile trip, while VX#1 continues to get 47-50 on trips...not sure why except the drag from spinning the A/C clutch?? They are the same otherwise. Both have 175 14 tires, stock all around.
mrbisset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #75
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: new VX owner introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbisset View Post
VX#2 only got 40mpg over a 150 mile trip, while VX#1 continues to get 47-50 on trips...not sure why except the drag from spinning the A/C clutch?? They are the same otherwise. Both have 175 14 tires, stock all around.
I thought the VX wasn't available with A/C...maybe some backyard engineering is at fault?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #76

VX with A/C

I didn't think 92-95 VX had A/C either as I have seen it written more than once. But the parts are available from Honda, and if you search for a long time, you may find one like I did I spent the last 5 years commuting to/from work in old cars w/o A/C, but I always had one car with A/C for trips, nights out, etc. Last summer was my first summer living with just the VX w/o A/C and we did a lot of weekend road trips that were a killer in the heat.
mrbisset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 AM   #77
Registered Member

Post Re: New Members: Welcome Thread

Hi, im here just to see if i can find some good tips on saving gas. We just bought a new vehicle and it may not get as good a gas mileage as the one we had b4 so I need ways to save.

Thanks
GaGasGuzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #78
Registered Member

Re: Honda-oriented New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacivicman View Post
Hello,

It is great to find a site of like-minded gas savers who drive the way I do! The creativity of many of the members is quite impressive and I look forward to learning a lot.

I've always been fond of simple cars and trucks, and love vehicles with high utility per gallon burned. I used to be an SCCA racer and autocrosser so handling and speed are of interest, however with age, the handling takes precedence over the speed.

Though I collect little minimalist European cars (Fiats, Renaults, etc.) I have admired Honda automobiles for their fine engineering and super efficient design. Recently, with a partner, I started Civic Duty, LLC (www.civicdutyparts.com) to sell New Old Stock and salvage Honda parts for our favorite Hondas - mostly 80s models. We are still building inventory but have lots of stuff for 3rd and 4th generation Honda Civics and all CRXs.

Vehicles

My daily driver is a 1998 Honda Odyssey minivan with almost 200K on it. This vehicle had an EPA highway rating of 24 and I regularly get 28 out of it. In fact, we've never gotten as low as 24 under any circumstances! My wife has the exact same vehicle too, but for some reason her (more pristine Odyssey) gets 1 mpg better than mine.

We also have a 1992 Honda Accord EX Coupe that gets 33 mpg, even with 176K on it.

Finally, I have an '87 CRX Si that will be our super-mileage getter.

Goals

My aim is to get 45 mpg out of the CRX. It is still undergoing a few preliminary repairs before hitting the road.

Another goal is to reach 29 mpg with 7 people aboard my wife's Odyssey (we've done 27.5 so far).

OK, that's enough - look forward to returning to this site on a regular basis.
I used to own an 86 crx si 5sp and got 45 mpg most of the time ,i have the stock header from it great shape. fun car
msweatherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #79
Registered Member

Hello from Weatherford Texas!
Know of any way to boost the BTU's of this E15 that the federal government started poring down are throats at the pump a few years back ?
It takes 15 to 20% more fuel to travel the same distance as it did before the gasoline flavored ethanol became mandatory .How is burning more fuel going to help reduce global warming ? OK, thats my rant for the day..lol
Ron Clark
rockbumron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #80
Registered Member

the only thing i use is a lube to combat the possible ill affects. not sure the loss is as high as 15-20% tho.

global warming? climate change? global cooling is more like it...not convinced there either. but i do have this for you...http://pure-gas.org/

and welcome btw!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote