New to board - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHolland View Post
Since I am home all day, I make sure the lights are turned off. Our electric bill has already gone down about $50. I was working nights, so my two boys would have every light on in the house all the time. My 16 yr old laughs at me for flipping switches off all the time, but he does not have to pay it. I just quit a VERY nice job working at Nissan, so we no longer have that income coming in.

What other things could you suggest? I do also need to turn the hot water temp down. I jacked it up during the winter, for hot baths. I have also turned the thermostat up between 75-80 and turned on the ceiling fans.

Lisa
When I lived in CA for a while, out by 29 Palms (towards Joshua Tree Nat. Park, desert country), we would use swamp coolers instead of A/C. Also had the brilliant idea one day to cover the windows with aluminum foil (shiny side out). While it made the house *very* dark inside, we were mostly gone during the day. Took off the foil at night to open the windows. Daytime temperatures inside the house fell by 20+ degrees....major energy savings there!! (course, the house wasn't much to look at...kinda blinding around 12 noon!!)

Old 06-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
Registered Member

I have been buying CFL's but I haven't had an electric bill yet. It took me a while to switch because I was trying to find a deal, program through our local power company, or government. I wrote my congressman informing him of the lack of programs encouraging CFL purchases for my area. Oh well, I'll pay full price for the long term payoff.
Shannon (slowmomma)

slowmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #13
*shrug*

PA has too much coal interest for that kinda thing! Silly PA.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #14
Registered Member

Actually I live a few miles from a nuclear power plant.
Shannon (slowmomma)
Old 06-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #15
*shrug*

Limerick? That's the closest to me. Do you know what your utility breakdown is?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #16
Registered Member

Actually I live near a powerplant in Susquahanna Valley (PA)... PPL operated. I don't know what utility breakdown means, but I get my electric from them for about $0.09/kwh.
Shannon (slowmomma)