New to board - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

New to board

Hi everyone!
This looks like a very fun and informative place! Can't wait to check it out and especially learn how to save on gas. I just bought a 2000 VW Beetle so that I would get much better mileage. I was driving a new Nissan Titan truck averaging 16.7 - 17.8 mpg. I also had a Nissan Quest, average 25 MPG. We just got rid of those along with a Ford Explorer that got about 22 MPG.

I am now a stay at home mother, depending on hubbys income, so looking for every way possible to cut back.

LHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
*shrug*

Welcome to the site! Nice vehicle switches, those are always the best ways to start.

Good luck with your FE, hope you enjoy the site.

PS: Have you done any around the home improvements? They're always good for some savings.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Around the house

Since I am home all day, I make sure the lights are turned off. Our electric bill has already gone down about $50. I was working nights, so my two boys would have every light on in the house all the time. My 16 yr old laughs at me for flipping switches off all the time, but he does not have to pay it. I just quit a VERY nice job working at Nissan, so we no longer have that income coming in.

What other things could you suggest? I do also need to turn the hot water temp down. I jacked it up during the winter, for hot baths. I have also turned the thermostat up between 75-80 and turned on the ceiling fans.

Lisa
LHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
*shrug*

Those were a few things I would suggest, besides that there are CFLs and random bits of insulation. www.builditsolar.com is my favorite thing for a bit.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

Welcome

Welcome to the Site...

It looks like you're heading in the right direction in your energy management choices...

Small changes to the home can add up: window tinting if you have direct sunlight into windows, ensuring the heat-A/C is in good working order. Additional steps include the compact fluorescent bulbs as SVO suggested (they're a bit more expensive, but you can change them out over time, but the savings can add up), going with alternative power such as solar, etc.

Again, welcome and enjoy!

RH77
Old 06-11-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

I toured that Nissan factory when I was in High School. So cool!

There are lots of general driving tips to follow. One specific thing to consider if you drive the Beetle on the highway is maybe working on the aerodynamics. If you decide that you are interested in that, there is a good article in Auto Speed magazine with a bunch of tuft testing results and some aero ideas specific to the Beetle.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
Registered Member

Any Honda N600 (or Z) owners?

If you are a GasSavers member with a Honda N600 (or a Z600) in your garage, I'd like to hear from you. A little over a year ago, I was fortunate enough to buy a 72 N600 in tremendous shape. It is all original with just 8,100 original miles on it. The factory original bias ply tires are still on the car. My dream is to find a running daily driver (prefer an N600 over the Z) in good shape to accompany the little show car in my garage. My current daily driver is a 5-speed 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T averaging a paltry 30 mpg, with a high of only 36. But then, I do like to kick the turbo from time to time!
MyN600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

Talking Well... this is what I've done, and it's helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHolland View Post
Since I am home all day, I make sure the lights are turned off. Our electric bill has already gone down about $50. I was working nights, so my two boys would have every light on in the house all the time. My 16 yr old laughs at me for flipping switches off all the time, but he does not have to pay it. I just quit a VERY nice job working at Nissan, so we no longer have that income coming in.

What other things could you suggest? I do also need to turn the hot water temp down. I jacked it up during the winter, for hot baths. I have also turned the thermostat up between 75-80 and turned on the ceiling fans.

Lisa
I am home with my two boys ages 6 and 7 all day and I work at night. So when I went on my quest to save money (I'm trying to get out of debt) I explored every possible route I came across. What has really worked for me thus far is... 1. Car costs- I compared car insurance rates online and ended up saving 24.00/month, and started driving in a more gas conserving manner. 2. Electricity- I did put the thermostat at 120 for the water heater (as you mentioned), we are now using the built in timers on the tv and other entertainment equiptment. (My husband was always falling asleep infront of the tv), and I have been unplugging the small appliances between uses (they use electricity even when they're off). I have been line drying clothes and if we use the dryer we do back to back loads so the dryer is still hot. And of course only washing full loads w/ cold water and cold water detergent. savings 90.00/month. 3.Water- I put a brick in the toliet tank so less water is needed to make it stop running. And we're now using a kitchen timer for the boy's showers.
I would love to find out more money conserving techniques as well... GOOD LUCK!
Shannon
slowmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
Supporting Member

Shannon and LHolland -

Welcome to GS! Sometimes you can get the CFLs for the same price as incandescents, because the power companies subsidize their cost. You just have to keep a lookout at the hardware/grocery stores or maybe check your power company's website.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Wow! Super cool new members! Welcome everybody!

MyN600, shoulda posted yer own thread, but no biggy! The site owner Matt has one himself! Awesomeness!