New witha del sol - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

New witha del sol

Hi everyone, I've got a red '93 Del Sol Si with a D16Z6
I just joined the site and put up my gas logs for the last year and a half. I'm doing ok, but I know it can be better. I typically drive like a maniac but I want to start experimenting with different driving styles. I was looking at one of those instant MPG computers but I'm pretty sure my car is OBD1. Iknow I probably should have searched the forums first but anyone know of some way to hook something up?

GasSavers_xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: New witha del sol

Nice to have another del Sol aboard. I used to have a teal '95 S. I loved that car, and regret selling it. It looks like yours is a bit nicer than mine was.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Welcome.

Driving like a maniac is pretty wasteful, but you may be able to develop a style that will save fuel while still providing most of the excitement and traffic tickets that you crave. I like to take turns really fast, and if I wasn't worried about tickets I'd drive plenty fast.

Yes, your car is OBD1.

There's a few potential ways to hook something up. There's a link in my sig to a DIY fuel rate meter. It is of limited usefulness. However, in that post there are links to MPGuino and also to a cheap and potentially very good hack you can do using a MPG display from an Acura.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocramer View Post
Hi everyone, I've got a red '93 Del Sol Si with a D16Z6
I just joined the site and put up my gas logs for the last year and a half. I'm doing ok, but I know it can be better. I typically drive like a maniac but I want to start experimenting with different driving styles. I was looking at one of those instant MPG computers but I'm pretty sure my car is OBD1. Iknow I probably should have searched the forums first but anyone know of some way to hook something up?
Welcome to the forum!!! Its nice to have another Del Sol owner on here.

Driving style will increase your mileage drastically as others have said.

Do you have pics of your car?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcomes. I don't really speed and I've never once even been pulled over, I just drive a more aggressively than anyone else I know. U know, accelerate fast (probably my biggest down fall) but not like I'm drag racing at every light.

The car got stolen twice this year, so I decided to add in a removable steering wheel to try to deter another theft. I also didnt put another radio in it after it got stolen the first time, who would steal a car with no steering wheel or radio, right?

Quote:
There's a few potential ways to hook something up. There's a link in my sig to a DIY fuel rate meter. It is of limited usefulness. However, in that post there are links to MPGuino and also to a cheap and potentially very good hack you can do using a MPG display from an Acura.
I'll check that out and see if I can't rig something up.

went from this

to this

Went from this

To this, i just made a heat shield for the intake last week

I'm also planning on doing a partial grill block off today, I'll probably take a before and after and post millage results when they are available.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Is the heat shield made to keep the intake air cool, or to heat the intake air? A warm/hot-air intake is a common modification discussed here.

Stolen twice?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Lean Burn Mode

Looks Great!!!

I'm still trying to find a complete AC unit for my wifes car. These things are a lot harder to find parts for then one would think.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
Looks Great!!!

I'm still trying to find a complete AC unit for my wifes car. These things are a lot harder to find parts for then one would think.
Thanks! and freakin' tell me about it. I had to basically redo that whole steering column and various other things after the thefts. And yes it was stolen twice in 2 months earlier this year.

The first time they knew what they were doing. They got in without breaking any windows, but they screwed up the column and took my radio. Police recovered it in San Antonio, I'm in Austin, and I had it back for about 3 weeks, starting it with a screw driver when it was attempted stolen a second time. The second time they broke a window and screwed up the ignition/steering column even more. Fortunately they were too stupid to figure out how to start it and they just left it. The cops towed it to "check for finger prints" (actually a racket they have with the local towing companies) and bashed in my bumper, trunk, and broke a tail light (none of which they admitted to or payed for)

I got an estimate of $7000 to fix everything so I decided that I had a new summer project. lol So all told I spent about $1000 in parts and the better part of my summer break repairing everything.

This heat shield is actually designed to suck in cold air directly from the front of the car. I made it before I had found this site and it was designed for power, not mileage. I might be doing a series of tests where I have the cold air only heat shield vs. a cold air block off plate designed for mileage not power. Good info though, thanks.