Noob with a Metro and a Yaris - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #1

Noob with a Metro and a Yaris

I was led here by MetroMPG.

I had a site online over a year ago call Mpgdigest, it never generate much interest or traffic, but it basically blogged gas prices, hybrids, new technologies and alternative fuels.

Now on to my vehicles:

1996 Geo Metro 5spd, 1.0L. HB

2007 Toyota Yaris 3dr. HB

and now my driving conditions:

Any recommandations for a 60 mile commute that includes a small
mountain, 23 miles of 55mph road, 13 miles of 65mph road, and 15 miles
of stop and go rush hour highway miles avg 35mph. I have a scanguage as
well. Thanks for your time. I am about an hour outside of Wash DC. my commute puts me about 5 miles from the DC line.

ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
*shrug*

How's the highway mileage look on the yaris I wonder? They get less than the corolla, which I guess is aero and gearing, but I've been wondering about that dang epa rating.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Brand new Yaris - good stuff! I drove the last generation hatch (we've had it in Canada for 3 or 4 years), and liked it.

Which car are you driving more? I guess the SG doesn't work in the 96 Metro.

Some thoughts on your route...

Highway gains come primarily from keeping your speed down. In mountainous/hilly areas, they come from coasting in neutral (engine off or on) on the downhills. In stop & go, it comes from not stopping & going; play the accordian & keep your car moving by leaving as much space ahead of you as possible so that you approach the guy's rear bumper just as he starts his next "go".
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
In stop & go, it comes from not stopping & going; play the accordian & keep your car moving by leaving as much space ahead of you as possible so that you approach the guy's rear bumper just as he starts his next "go".
Yup... when those cars pile up behind you, you can think of yourself as doing a service saving them fuel too.

Another thing that you can do if you see a light change to red and you will coast until you have to brake, is step on the brakes early. This means that it will take longer to get to the lights and you will still have some kinetic energy when you get there. Ideally you want to brake just enough so that you reach the lights just after you would have to have slowed down.

And yes, I know that ideally you would be going slow enough so that you didn't have to brake, but an ideal world doesn't have stop lights after blind corners.
Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
How's the highway mileage look on the yaris I wonder? They get less than the corolla, which I guess is aero and gearing, but I've been wondering about that dang epa rating.
The ratings seem to be a bit low. I have run about 250 miles so far and 1 60 mile commute clocked in at 44mpg, nothing lower than 36 for a whole day both trips and some around town. Again A/C on. It is also and automatic so I have less play than with the stick. I will post my first gaslog Wed/Thursday.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Brand new Yaris - good stuff! I drove the last generation hatch (we've had it in Canada for 3 or 4 years), and liked it.

Which car are you driving more? I guess the SG doesn't work in the 96 Metro.

Some thoughts on your route...

Highway gains come primarily from keeping your speed down. In mountainous/hilly areas, they come from coasting in neutral (engine off or on) on the downhills. In stop & go, it comes from not stopping & going; play the accordian & keep your car moving by leaving as much space ahead of you as possible so that you approach the guy's rear bumper just as he starts his next "go".
Yaris more this week picked it up Friday. SG works in both and the old one will stay in the Geo and the Scangauge 2 will go in the Yaris next month when the USB interface comes out.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketel0ne
SG works in both
Right - my mistake. For some reason I was thinking 98 and up for OBD2, but it's 96 and up.

What caused you to buy the automatic transmission in the Yaris?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I'd be interested in what you tach reads at 60mph to compare to my xB 5 speed. I find that once you get up to speed if you back off on the gas a couple of times then very lightly back on again the MPG jumps up . . . I think it pumps up the valve timing to a more efficient setting this way as well as the ignition timing. Once you get the SCII hooked up you can see it. I already got my SGII a couple of months ago and was under the impression that it will be able to USB to a laptop and I didn't have to wait until next month to have that ability . . . not that I need it. MAN I wish I didn't need as big a box as my xB . . . I would have gotten the 2 door Yaris for sure.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Right - my mistake. For some reason I was thinking 98 and up for OBD2, but it's 96 and up.

What caused you to buy the automatic transmission in the Yaris?
With the VVT the mileage estimates are almost identical. The top end mileage estimates will be lower for the auto of course. Also, it was available, I bought the only 2 dr available with in like 28 states. I didn't want to order it or wait for it. I have heard horror stories. There are only going to be about 14,000 of the 2 dr's in this model year.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
I'd be interested in what you tach reads at 60mph to compare to my xB 5 speed. I find that once you get up to speed if you back off on the gas a couple of times then very lightly back on again the MPG jumps up . . . I think it pumps up the valve timing to a more efficient setting this way as well as the ignition timing. Once you get the SCII hooked up you can see it. I already got my SGII a couple of months ago and was under the impression that it will be able to USB to a laptop and I didn't have to wait until next month to have that ability . . . not that I need it. MAN I wish I didn't need as big a box as my xB . . . I would have gotten the 2 door Yaris for sure.
I'll check this on the way home.

As for the SGII this is what I got from them concerning the interface:

The interface is a unit with memory and processing power itself. It has a cable that plugs into the unused connector on the ScanGaugeII and another that plugs into a USB port on a computer. They don't have to both be plugged in at the same time.

The interface will use SD Cards for data storage. You can plug it inot the ScanGauge for logging and for other upload/download tasks. It can be removed from the vehicle and taken to a computer for data transfers.

The ScanGaugeII has all the hardware needed for the interface, but will need an upgrade of its program to use it. The Upgrade is free when you purchase the interface.

Price has not been finalized yet. It is expected to be under $100. This will also include the software for a windows based computer.

The interface should be available around the end of August.