Old member returning - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Old member returning

Okay, I'm not that old. I'm only 40, but I haven't posted on this forum since the days of gassavers.org. I am excited to announce that I am throwing a bunch of money at my old, rusting 1992 Civic VX. The car has an interesting history. One that I think warrants it being kept going for another 325,000 miles.

It was purchased in 1992 (or 1991?) and after 8,000 miles the owner didn't care for the car and it was sold to the person I bought it from, at 242,XXX miles. Now he apparently took very good care of the car because the engine did not use/burn/leak any oil at all. He kept it in a heated garage. He replaced the suspension one year before I bought it (I bought it in December of 2012).

Since then I've changed out the transmission (60k mi. ago) with one that had 10k mile on it and am about to put in an 82,000 mile motor from Canada as well into it as well since it is starting to show its age. Also having a new steering rack put in and a used light weight carbon fiber hood. Trying to decide if I want to remove the A/C unit. The belt on it broke so it's just dead weight at this point. Would be nice to remove it and add to the weight savings since I'm getting a lightweight hood.

Going to have a lot of body work done as well to repair the rust and hopefully prevent future rust.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome back. Nice to see someone getting the most from an old car, makes all those rare earth materials and C02 invested in its production worth it. Sadly if that car were sold in the UK, I fear the weather would have rotted it out at least 10 or 15 years ago. Cars have a hard time here, I suddenly realised I'm on my tenth tyre in just 27,000 miles, so there's an indication how much quicker things wear out here...

Best of luck with the project, add pictures if you so wish.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Welcome back. My Escape Hybrid was hit and totaled last year. I'm now in a 14 Jetta SportWagen TDI.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:13 AM   #4
Out of Fuel

Welcome back! Cheers!
EddWick is offline   Reply With Quote