Passat owner, absorbing all this info - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Passat owner, absorbing all this info

I usually get 30-33mpg on my way to work which includes a lot of stoplights and such. I usually get 38-39mpg on the highway.

That is with zero research, so hopefully when I get some tips, I can touch the 50mpg zone.

here are a couple pics of my car

vwpassat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Welcome. I guess your Passat has a taller top gear than my Rabbit.

Is it the 2.0t?

Old 06-12-2008, 05:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

Since the tach appears to go above 6000, it's a safe bet it isn't the 2.0 TDI.
The user name had me wondering if it was the W (double V, not double U) four-motion 8 cylinder, but that one was automatic only so that's out of the possibilities.
That leaves the V6 (which if getting 38+ highway is already 'hypermiling'), and the 2.0.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
2.0t is the 2 liter turbo gas engine. "four-motion" is their AWD system and is not part of specifying the engine. AFAIK, they are pronouncing W8 as "double U eight", I think in direct reference to its resemblence of the letter W rather than two U's.

In addition to the V6 and the 2.0t they have a 2.5L 5-cylinder, which is what's in my car, but it may not be available in the Passat. I know the 2.0t is.

Okay, just checked vw.com and for the current model year they only offer the 2.0t and the V6. No W8 this year? Seemed like a cool idea for an engine...
Old 06-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

2005 and later (hard to tell which year with the aftermarket grille and no taillights visible in the image) had a 2.0t and also a 2.0 TDI. If its a 98~04 then it is quite likely gasoline powered as only three 98 TDI Passats were imported.
BTW, there is as yet no photographic evidence of these three 1998 1.9liter B5 TDI, but they are acknowledged by VWoA and a TDI only used car dealer has seen one of them in person at an auction.
The english markets call the W design as english speakers do: "Double U". The engine designers described it as resembling their letter which translates from German into "Double V". It's the local version of "double V" almost everywhere else. The letter looks the same, but the name changes with the language.
The W ("double you" in english, "dou-bleh vay" in french, "dopple vay" in german) 8 option was dropped when the Phaeton was canned.
What's the name of the letter Z: "zee" or "zed"?
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote