Saying hello from Minden, NV - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Saying hello from Minden, NV

Hi there,

My name is Boris and I'm from the high desert area of Minden, NV. I drive a Hyundai Accent and get between 41 (winter) and 48 MPG (summer). Hopefully I will learn how to squeeze a few more MPG out of my little car here.

See you on the road!

-- Boris

kristiancyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Registered Member

48? Wow! What year and transmission type Accent do you have? Any special mods or driving techniques you use? I'm only getting 43 or so maximum right now, so I'd love to pick your brain.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

I live at a moderately high altitude - 4600 ft - which I think helps a bit. The desert gets pretty hot and I think that helps the engine reach operating temperature quicker. It's 6:40am as I type this and it's already 55 deg F.

Most of my driving is highway based. I accelerate relatively slowly (what's the rush?) and cruise at 50 MPH. So what if other drivers are roaring past me at 65 or 80 MPH? I stay in the slow lane and just enjoy.

I turn the engine off at stop lights and coast as much as possible. It's not hard to read the traffic lights around here once you figure out their pattern. Steering without power steering is kind of tough but still do-able. My old VW didn't have power steering so the feeling isn't unfamiliar.

I'd really like to break 50 MPG one day because it seems within reach.

Winter driving is rough because it's cold and there's a lot more rolling resistance with the snow, grit, and water. Driving with the headlights on also brings down the MPG. I don't use the AC. My commute is only 10 miles and I can bear the heat for the 15 minute commute.

-- Boris
kristiancyclist is offline   Reply With Quote