Subaru 2014 Forester - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Subaru 2014 Forester

Hi, new to Fuelly. Really like the site so far. I'll try to be disciplined and keep the fuel data for my Forester up to date.

Question: it's my first car equipped with a gas mileage display. Are these instruments reliable ? ( Subaru or not) My sister in law has a 2013 Outback and was told by the dealer that they weren't !

Thanks for the feedback.

josbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

If it's an instant reading, you'll see it jump between 3 and 99.9 MPG with a slight adjustment of the accelerator! However if there's a trip MPG reading (average since you reset it) these are more accurate, but tend to be 2 to 4 MPG higher than actual. The longer you don't reset it though, the more accurate it tends to be.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The dealer is correct. Those readouts are not at all accurate. They can be a good reminder to drive efficiently, many can reliably tell you if you did better than your last tank, but they cannot be used to compare to other drivers/cars in a meaningful way.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks Draigflag & Holycow , i was planning to do just that, letting my tripB setting go without resetting it as long as possible.
josbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

I've done 3 fillups in my '14 Forester so far and the in-dash display has always been a little high. On my first tank, the display was reading 28.8mpg and actual was 28.4 or 28.5, I forget. The one I did the other day, the in-dash readout was 30.0mpg and actual was 29.5. So, they're in the ballpark, but no super accurate. On my 2012 Mustang GT, the in-dash display was actually about .75mpg lower than actual most of the time, I was was disappointed to find out Subie's read a little high. Either way, I'll be happy if I can get my combined mpg at 30 or better. So far, I'm about about 28.6 avg over 3 tanks.
faztcobra is offline   Reply With Quote