The Mexican dude with the Aveo5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Smile The Mexican dude with the Aveo5

Hey, hello.
I'm Orlando Ochoa, Mexican of course, I live in Matamoros, in the border with Brownsville Tx.

I recently changed my sporty Eclipse GT V6 for a more fuel efficient car, my new love, my Aveo5 2007, It's a 4 cylinder 1.6L, manual transmission hatchback.

The only time i tried to mesure the MPG (by the old, poor, unreliable way of miles on the trip count/ gallons used) I got like 32MPG.

I drive 80% of the time on the city, I drive 33.5mi daily from M-F that's 167.5mi, plus the weekend drives, so that gives me 200mi a week.

As I said, I live in Mexico, not exactly a FE friendly environment, but i want to try it, let's raise that MPG to at least 35!

Anyone interested in helping?

Aveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Welcome! Using the trip odometer with the gallons purchased can be a very reliable method of calculating mileage (unless you know your odometer reading is wrong). I know our garage here on the site isn't working quite right, but if you entered your vehicle, and your fuel purchases, when our new garage software is ready, your data will be automatically imported to the new software.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you!
well I know that it isn't exact because I bought it a slightly bigger tires, and my car doesn't tell me the gallons left, it has the analog tank indicator.
but I'll still keep doing it.
and I'm starting my garage tonight!
Aveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

What will help you greatly is our new garage will be able to handle US or Metric units, so you could do miles/gallons or Kilometers/liters. To find out how far off your odometer is, go to a highway marked off with mileposts. Start right at one, and note your odometer reading. Drive 10 miles (as per the mileposts, and stop at the 10th one. Record your odometer reading. You can then figure out your % that your odometer reading is off by, and then just always multiply your miles traveled by your % variance, and use that number for your mileage calculations.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveo5 View Post
my car doesn't tell me the gallons left, it has the analog tank indicator.
but I'll still keep doing it.
I don't recommend depending on a "gallons remaining" display even if you do have one...just use accurate fueling habits (or don't depend on a single tank for fuel economy average). Always pump until it clicks off, then do not top off. That will tell you how much fuel you used. If that's not convenient, then average the MPG calculation of every 3 tanks and consider that as a reasonably accurate.

If possible, pump from the same pump, facing the same direction at the same time of day, that's about the best control you can have over consistency (but even then it's imperfect).

Don't get me wrong, it's usually good enough to just use any pump anywhere and let it click off, but you can't depend on that and call it accurate.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Registered Member

hi i too have a 2007 chevy aveo 5 (with the manual transmission) i kept the stock tires and i average about 34mpg around town and 38-40mpg on the highway i keep the speed under 65mph.and that seems to help ..i live in a small town with no traffic to speak of.

xhippie is offline   Reply With Quote