vtecn8ive from Minnesota - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

vtecn8ive from Minnesota

Hello,

I have been on this site off and on for over a year without joining. I was actually pretty surprised I went to log in but realized i had never joined.

I recently purchased a 90 Honda Crx HF. I plan to go for good gas mileage while gaining some comforts lost in Crxs.

I'm very familiar with 88-91 Crx/Civics. I've done plenty of swaps and modifications but with school (re)approaching I decided to go with a gas saver rather then speed.

I am looking to do a Vx engine swap (looking to do cable-hydro conversion with the stock VX tranny as my tranny is acting up a bit).

I am looking to put power windows, locks, mirrors, and possibly cruise control in it. I know i will be putting power windows and locks the other two are hopeful thoughts.

As stated I'm going for good MPG with a bit of luxuries.

I'm from Minnesota but currently finishing up my deployment in Afghanistan. I'll be moving to Houston near the end of Summer for school.

I've been on www.honda-tech.com and www.mnsportcompacts.net/forum for quite some time now so some of you may recognize me from there.

Thanks,
Shane

vtecn8ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

Another new Civic guy

Hi Shane,

I've been lurking for the good part of a year as well. I love my Civics. Have a '91 DX with 260k and a '91 LX with 225k that I bought as a parts car but ended up being another daily driver.

I've gotten good FE just changing my driving habits (check out my gas logs) and by having a long highway commute to work.

FE has taken a hit in the winter for the obvious reasons, plus my wife commutes with me now most days, and ends up driving it a lot. (I try to bite my lip for at least ten seconds when she forgets to shift into fifth on the highway.)

Right now I'm researching what wheel/tire combo I want once I can take the winter Blizzaks/steelies off.

I love the site and glad to be a member finally!

Bill in Rochester, NY

Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Shane, Good to see another MNSC'er on here!

Weren't you the one that had the blue CRX that you swapped in the VX motor into but then sold it to Colin#2 before you were deployed last year or so?

Anyways, It's cool to see that you're doing that project. I can be of great service as well since I don't live far away from where you live when you're back in MN.

Welcome to gassavers!

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hey TomO.

Yup I did sell the car to Colin. I think i got about 150 for it. Motor was acting up in it. I think i got shafted on the motor otherwise I had converted the car from DPFI-MPFI-OBD1-VTEC-e

I was pretty upset that i could not complete that car.

Otherwise good to be here plan to learn a bit more of the art of MPG. I understand driving style has a lot to do with it. I'm still looking into other idea for better gas mileage and i'm sure you'll see some Noob questions from me while i'm learning.

Thanks
Shane
Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

Bill,

I've also been caught up in the entire 88-91 Crx/Civic bug for about the last 5 years. Ever since my first one (which was the blue one stated above) I have gone through about 8 different Crx/Civics of that generation. I've done LOTS to these cars. Engine swaps, Interior swaps, Suspension swaps, tranny swaps, completely re-wiring engine harnesses, main harness (engine harness) creating subharnesses, mild rebuilds.

I've done quite a bit. I've stripped and rebuilt multiple cars. one of my biggest challenges to date was a 85 Crx Dx that i stripped; fixed rear quarter panels, repainted, converted from Carb to Fuel Injection but never got to finsih due to the lack of a garage and the police not enjoying a non-running vehicle in my drive way .

Thanks,
Shane
Old 02-04-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecn8ive View Post
Hey TomO.

Yup I did sell the car to Colin. I think i got about 150 for it. Motor was acting up in it. I think i got shafted on the motor otherwise I had converted the car from DPFI-MPFI-OBD1-VTEC-e
I remember that I wanted that CRX from you so badly but didn't have room for it. I ended up getting that motor though, once Colin picked up the car from you. I'm in the process of rebuilding it right now to put into my VX.

one question...do you remember how many miles were on it?

Quote:
I was pretty upset that i could not complete that car.
Colin has it going in a good direction now though too. Last I heard it was being converted into a track car
Quote:
Otherwise good to be here plan to learn a bit more of the art of MPG. I understand driving style has a lot to do with it. I'm still looking into other idea for better gas mileage and i'm sure you'll see some Noob questions from me while i'm learning.

Thanks
Shane
Don't hesitate to ask anything that you don't find in a search on the site. This place is 11tybrazillion times better than H-T. Plus there are two or more others on here that have swapped a D15Z1 into a CRX already and can lend some first hand experience. Plus, I don't live far from you at all and would love to help out.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
I recently purchased a 90 Honda Crx HF. I plan to go for good gas mileage while gaining some comforts lost in Crxs.
Shane,

What MPG are you shooting for in the CRX? Is there that much potential gain just in the lighter body (over the Civic sedan) or is the engine/tranny swap the biggest FE gain? Of course the CRX is much nicer to look at, and I've been taking some hard looks at CRXs but I've already got the DX and LX in the driveway...

Bill
Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

TomO,

No idea how many miles were on it. I purchased it for 50 bucks and was told it ran. I bought it from a good seller but i think i got jipped on the motor.

Glad to know he is doing something with the car.

Bill,

I have no idea what to shoot for. I am hoping between 50-65mpg. Not sure what to expect really.

I'm assuming i'll get better FE with the ligher body style but also the motor (since its built for a heavier car) should reel me in some good FE.

Also, it was a HARD decision to get the Crx. I was looking all over the US for a good 90-91 Civic Ex (4dr sedan) 5spd. Everyone that has them with 250,000 miles still feel they are worth 2500. the thing about the Ex is that it comes with all options (just like the LX) and it comes with a few extra things that the LX did not come with. I had located a car i was told that was an LX in Los Angeles area but carfax saved the day and showed it was an LX and it had been in a minor accident awhile ago.

I miss having a back seat but at the same time its a good excuse not to take my car when me and my friends go out .

-Shane

« Scion XB | Sup? »