Wait, how does this freaking work? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #11
Registered Member

speaking of not having a clue, how do I easily add my car and average mpg pic to my forum chat signature like you guys..?!

Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
For your first fuel up, tell me the exact info you put in and I'll try and help. Did you buy the car with 0 miles on the clock? Was there any fuel in the tank when you bought it and did you top it up? A fuel up is when you drive a certain distance from a full tank, then refill to the top again. Fuelly can't divide fuel over distance unless you've driven some distance and used some fuel.
Well, the fact is that I HAVE driven a certain distance and used some fuel, but the way the system works that became "my first fill-up," and it didn't record any of that fuel or distance -- it just became "my starting point."

Actually, my frustration is all about all of the questions you just asked -- which are the questions that the site should walk new people through when they get started. I really did look all over the site for help, or "tips," but anything I found was just about stuff like getting better mileage, and not about how to get started with a new vehicle for the first time.

For instance, my car, like every Toyota I've ever seen over the past decade or more, "comes with a full tank of gas." I drove it off the lot with 9 miles on it, though I really don't know if they filled it up right before then, or perhaps before then -- it wouldn't have registered any difference I could see in the fuel gauge, one way or the other. So, in my own records, it's just easiest to call the first fill-up at "zero" mileage, and keep it clean from there forward. So, I guess I need to call THAT "my first fill-up," rather than the first fill-up I actually bought and paid for.

In the end, that's the kind of confusion that the site dumps new members into -- I sure think it could be approved.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatvet View Post
This is how i do it. ( i setup my car to use Trip odom)
Well, you see, I have been keeping track of my gas mileage for several different cars over the past 30 years on spreadsheets, starting with Lotus 1-2-3 around about 1985. If only the site had something along the lines of a "starting mileage" field, and then you entered your first fill-up after that point, then I wouldn't have had any problems with it at all. The site really could use some improvements to help new people get new cars entered properly, to begin with.

In the end, I'm mainly looking at this site (and now others) to share my mileage numbers with other folks, and not really to figure out my MPG at all -- I'll continue doing that on my spreadsheets.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC View Post
My first recommendation would be not doing any more crystal meth.

Then, if you're really that broken up about it, just delete that fill up and create a new "first" fill up at zero miles or 6 miles or wherever it got the tank filled up.

Sheesh... This isn't rocket science
Thanks for the insults. My point is that the site could easily be improved to help walk new people through exactly that kind of thing. But it doesn't.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #15
Registered Member

Did you read the FAQ section? That offers alot of help, as you say, the tips board is for economy tips only that members send in.

I think you're confusing fill ups with fuel ups. Your first fuel up should be the 366 miles, divided by the 10 or 11 gallons you added after driving those miles. You went from 9 miles to 366 miles and used from full to empty, 10 or 11 gallons. Is this making any sense yet?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Old 04-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to fatvet
I tried to add a pic to this post.
It clearly shows the button to upload spreadsheets of data you may have.
not sure it helps but it's there.
Just click your car in your "garage" and scroll down, you should see it.

-ALF out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post
Well, you see, I have been keeping track of my gas
mileage for several different cars over the past 30 years on spreadsheets, starting with Lotus 1-2-3 around about 1985. If only the site had something along the lines of a "starting mileage" field, and then you entered your first fill-up after that point, then I wouldn't have had any problems with it at all. The site really could use some improvements to help new people get new cars entered properly, to begin with.

In the end, I'm mainly looking at this site (and now others) to share my mileage numbers with other folks, and not really to figure out my MPG at all -- I'll continue doing that on my spreadsheets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thoots.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1759  
Old 04-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to fatvet
i think this is the link

FAQ: How do I use a Fuelly forum signature/badge?

but here is pic i circled in RED

-ALF out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlovesgoddess View Post
speaking of not having a clue, how do I easily add my car and average mpg pic to my forum chat signature like you guys..?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thoots2.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1760  
Old 04-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #18
Registered Member

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #19
Registered Member

Now - this proves my problem! The figures in my badge are in correct due to me having to multiply my UK gallons by 120%! If i don't, my dashboard figure is wrong, if i do this figure is wrong...!
I like fuelly, i like the people, the tips and investigating different real mpgs. I have been an mpg geek for 11 years, wish i found fuelly 11 years ago!The data is inputted by people, so hardly flawless - i come across cars with rogue 0.5 or 250 mpg figures, but overall i trust and enjoy the information here. my real average mpg for 18 months is 62, not 51...!
Old 04-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #20
Registered Member

In fact, a favour if you please!
If you click on my fuelly page, what is the mpg figure you see for my Hyundai?
For me it is 62, and the same if i find my cat through "browse vehicles".
Do you see 62.0, 52.6 or something else entirely..?
As throots says, i m here to share my mileage with others, if its wrong, thats no good!

Closed Thread