Wait, how does this freaking work? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 03:10 AM   #41
Registered Member

The carbs are at the back with no cold air feed, so the effect from driving at higher speeds shouldn't be as great as some. Also, They are automatic flat slide carbs. They work by the vacuum from the engine, so they will only dose what the engine can use. I can put my foot to the floor at 2krpm and it won't throw in a ton of fuel because the draw just isn't there.

I'm not concerned about comparing with other's, i am a member of a club which probably has the only other people with a car anywhere near the same, so i have their experiences to go with. But it'd be nice to have a site where i can log all my fill-ups and mileage, and get a good picture of what's going on.

I'd like to say my driving is consistent but it isn't (i have a couple of trackdays this year but i won't include them), so anything that'd show this would be good too.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:21 AM   #42
Registered Member

If you want accurate results, your driving doesn't necessarily have to be consistent, but your filling methods do. As for the track days, you won't really be able to track fuel usage as no doubt you'll only want to use a small amount of fuel in the tank for weight and safety reasons etc. Fuelly needs a full tank so it knows how much you've used.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Old 05-02-2016, 05:10 AM   #43
Registered Member

My concern was with a non-stock car throwing off the data of the stock ones in Fuelly's database.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #44
Registered Member

It's got a terrible filler neck. It's in line with the top of the tyre and they're 13in wheels..
I brimmed it the other day from red and got 39 quid in it. I brimmed it again yesterday and got 45 quid with a little more patience.

But it's only a small light car, i don't like carrying a full tank. At the moment i'm just logging the miles and litres whenever i fill up, which will be relatively little and often. Then i can add a side note of the general type of driving.

On bank holiday monday i drove to St.Helens and back (i live in Milton Keynes). This took about eight hours! The traffic was horrendous, half the journey on the M6 was spent crawling in 1st gear.. It was a wasted opportunity to test an economy run. Incidentally, i've now done 400 miles on that £45 fill but it's in the red, so i suppose about 40mpg - never travel on a bank holiday if you want to save fuel!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
My concern was with a non-stock car throwing off the data of the stock ones in Fuelly's database.
To be fair, there are so few of these left, i doubt the database has many. The last ones were registered in 1990 and it was never the most popular car. There is VW data on google as to how they supposedly ran when new, as per the handbook and brochure, but no two are the same these days.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post
Thanks for the insults. My point is that the site could easily be improved to help walk new people through exactly that kind of thing. But it doesn't.
Ok, so you want a true reading from day one... but that is not mathematically possible. You don't know the fuel level in the car, and you are using incorrect beginning mileage, which is off by 9 miles... so IMHO, that data will not ever be correct anyway.

SO... when you filled up the first time, use the 366 along with the rest of the data you input... AND MOVE ON.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #47
Registered Member

Closing this thread. OP has indeed moved on. Last fuel up and login to the site was a year ago.

Closed Thread