Want to get all I can out of my Civic VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Want to get all I can out of my Civic VX

Hello,

I am interested in doing FE improvement mods to my 1994 Civic VX. I have been trying to compile a list of things I can do, but I thought it would be a better idea to ask on here. I am currently only getting about 45 MPG with my car and I noticed that there was a person on here with a VX who was getting 65 MPG. I want to do this, can any of you help me out? I have tons of tools and am mechnically skilled. Any ideas/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

lmart665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
*shrug*

Well, the first nice thing is always a complete tune up. How many miles are on the car?

Besides that, most of the FE you will get is out of driving techniques, so I suggest you poke around at some of our good driving tips threads and whatnot.

I'm sure some people will have more helpful advice than I, I suck at driving.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Driving on E

I say the best thing you can do is driving techniques... SVOBoy is right. Besides that, I'd say some basic aerodynamic modifications would be great (belly pan, rear wheel skirts, partial grille block).
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:42 AM   #4
Registered Member

Other ideas

Hey guys,

Even using a complete tank on the highway I'm only getting mid 40's (45 MPG) and that is without the A/C. The car does have 166,000 miles on it, but it runs great. The doesn't have any rust or rust holes, so I'm not catching any extra air there. Would any of your recommend any actual modifications or additions to the car? Such as: (and if you think any of the following are a good idea, if you could give any suggestions to what type or brand would work best I would appreciate it)

Plugs
Wires
Water Injection
Fuel Additives
Oil Additives
Aerodynamics (what do you recommend, where can I get it, or should I just build it myself)
Intake (Warm air or cold air, what type of filter)
Oil
Transmission Fluid
Water Injection (I read a little about it)
Hydrogen Boost (Do any of you know about this?)
PCV Valve catch
Oil Cooler
Tires (what kind of tires and where to get them)
ANYTHING ELSE

I am up for anything, I will do whatever I can to this car to get the most out of it. I shift at the shift points for the most part, but i am still suffering from low mileage. If you have any suggestions, please add the name brand and where to buy if at all possible. I appreciate all of your help and input. This forum is awesome.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

Direct Hits

Have any of you tried the Direct Hits spark plugs? Do they work the wonders they claim they will?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:15 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmart665
Even using a complete tank on the highway I'm only getting mid 40's (45 MPG)
At what speed?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:23 AM   #7
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
what would you say the majority of your driving is?

the vx is already a very efficient platform and if the majority of your driving is highway then aeromods are the number one mod.

is wisconsin relatively flat? and did you start a gaslog here? its a very useful tool.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

Speed is key. I would think that you would need to drive at 75MPH to get 45 MPG. If you are driving 75, try 55 instead. You should see at least 60 MPG.

I saw a white VX at Hybridfest in Madison last weekend. Perhaps that was you?

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

Speeds

Hello!

I have tested my MPG at both city and highway. On the highway I normally drive about 72-74 MPH. On the highway I have gotten around 46 (again, at 72-74 MPH). Wisconsin is a relatively flat, terrible state...haha.

Do any of you have a recommendation for an aerodynamics kit for this car? I am going to be doing a complete paint job in the spring, so I would put it on at that time and make it so that it fit well and looked good.

Thank you everybody! You are all very helpful.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
Registered Member

Civic VX and Del Sol S

krousdb,

I am very impressed with your mileage stats. 65 with your VX and 66 with your Del Sol?!? That's insane. I want to get to that point. I will do whatever I can. I have the money and the ambition. Do you have any other mods, besides aero kit, on your VX? What have you done to your Del Sol to get that kind of mileage?

Thanks again!