Yet another newcomer - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Yet another newcomer

Hi, folks.

I'm transitioning from about 200 commuting miles a week to a situation that'll have me on the road more like 200 miles per day. Obviously, this means fuel efficiency is becoming even more important to me than it already is.

I've been achieving better than EPA ratings for a long time just on general principles (no jackrabbit starts, coasting towards red lights, etc.), but for the last month or so I've been consciously trying for better FE numbers. I had some success on my own, but my first week with a ScanGauge II has been an eye-opener: Some things work the way I expected, but others are really counter-intuitive!

Equally valuable was finding CleanMPG, GasSavers, and so on. You guys have been a tremendous help! In the couple of weeks I've been browsing as a guest I've picked up some great information, so I figured it was time to join up so I can at least say, "Thank you!"

I doubt I'll ever be a true hypermiler (way too much urban and congested highway driving for that, I think) but I'm going to push my numbers as far as I reasonably can.

Cheers,
Rick

Old 06-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Registered Member

Cabby eh? What's the trans code?

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post
my first week with a ScanGauge II has been an eye-opener: Some things work the way I expected, but others are really counter-intuitive!

I doubt I'll ever be a true hypermiler (way too much urban and congested highway driving for that, I think) but I'm going to push my numbers as far as I reasonably can.

Welcome to GasSavers ,fellow Rick!

The SGII is a fantastic tool isn't it ? It amazes me all the driving techniques that have been ingrained into the psyche that are blown away by observations .

Don't doubt yourself on the hypermiler thing as it gets incorporated into your drive style and *any* improvement becomes positive for the wallet and enviroment ...graduating to home and office .

You've got your garage open ,I see, and you've got a good start with a positive attitude Stick around we can help !
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Registered Member

Wow, scary-fast replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Cabby eh? What's the trans code?
It's a DLZ transmission (replaced at about 50K miles, so it has half the mileage on it as the rest of the car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
The SGII is a fantastic tool isn't it ?
Believe it. I figure between gas money saved and occasional CEL issues it'll pay for itself before the year's out. It quickly earned an honored spot on my dash right alongside my GPSr (which I simply don't drive without, anymore).

I was talking to my older brother about the ScanGauge (he's the motorhead in the family; I just drive 'em, he builds 'em) and his comment was:

Quote:
Takes me back to my teenage years when I had a gauge hooked up to the manifold to indicate gas mileage... Stone age, but it did help to create a "save gas money" attitude... If it makes you more aware, it certainly can change your driving habits!
... so I guess the FE mindset goes way back in our family. (Heck, my dad had an Isetta for many years...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
Don't doubt yourself on the hypermiler thing as it gets incorporated into your drive style and *any* improvement becomes positive...
Oh sure, no doubt... but there aren't as many opportunities to experiment with P&G as I'd like, rarely do I get to coast in to a red light the way I'd prefer due to vehicles behind me, etc.

Quote:
Stick around we can help !
I'm hopeful I'll eventually be able to give something back as well, if nothing other than "paying forward" to those who come after me.

Rick
Old 06-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #5

Isetta ! There is one running around here ! Cool retro !

p&g isn't the only technique for achieving FE - as I'm sure you know and will discover as time goes by . Your car(s) may take to a hybrid style of technique very well and thats the secret finding what works for you and expounding on it .
Good FE
Old 06-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Rick -

Quote:

... so I guess the FE mindset goes way back in our family. (Heck, my dad had an Isetta for many years...)

Rick
An Isetta?!?!?! You mean one of these? :

Bubble car
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_car
Attachment 619

Coolio.

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #7

They are sweet !
Old 06-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
An Isetta?!?!?! You mean one of these?
Precisely. Yep, my dad was nerdy-cool long before Urkle. He bought two used: one functional, a second for parts. I have photos of it around here somewhere; I'll post 'em if they happen to turn up.

Even though the top speed on the thing was only about 40MPH and it had a left-handed shifter, I've always thought it would be cool to own one (as homage to dad if nothing else). Maybe someday...

Rick
Old 06-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Supporting Member

welcome your doin fine!!! just stop in as much as you can
Old 06-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
I have photos of it around here somewhere; I'll post 'em if they happen to turn up.
HAH! Found 'em! Or one, at least.

Enjoy...

Rick