100 MPG smart car myth - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #51
Registered Member

great mileage is relative. I can get 26 in the element and it doesn't cost me any extra because I already have it.

I am kind of looking for something that will get me REALLY good mileage (relatively speaking of course)

and yes greensboro is about the nearest big city to me (big is relative too).

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #52
Registered Member

interesting how amateurs can WAY exceed 100MPG...

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/mostEfficient.shtml

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #53
Registered Member

that is awesome that they are still doing things like that. I remember it was a while back that some college kid died while running an electric car like the ones shown because a gust of wind blew his vehicle out of control. I don't remember all the details.

I think practicality is a big issue in vehicles like that. I started a new thread on an electric vehicle that would travel 76 MPH (I think) and gets around 60 miles on a charge (in the summer). the problem is practicality. it is a single seater though it does have a trunk. and the price is pretty steep though all fully electric cars are steep to say the least. also the batteries have a life of 10 years and a replacement cost of $7500.

I think that solutions to increased fuel prices are coming. a friend of mine said that it is a two edged sword. if gas prices stay up, compaines will have more incentive for making more fuel efficient vehicles or gas free transportation solutions. the bad part is that we have to live with expensive transportation costs for a while. the other side of the coin is that if gas prices were to go down (significantly) then all of the development on these new technologies will slow down if not stop. then, somewhere in the future, we will be in the same boat if not worse off.

I agree with him on that one.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #54
Registered Member

[QUOTE=BEEF;119804...I remember it was a while back that some college kid died while running an electric car like the ones shown because a gust of wind blew his vehicle out of control. I don't remember all the details.
[/QUOTE]

Some places can get some really nasty winds...one of my routes to work is sometimes shut down due to high winds...one time on that stretch I swear my '83 Cad was damn near up on two wheels...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote