109 MPG ZX2 gettin' the hang of it - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Was this report interesting to you?
YES 9 81.82%
NO 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2006, 06:11 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
109 MPG run /32.1 miles /38 MPH AVG/ 61 MPH max/ TEMP 25

Almost too good to be true. I know metro got 133mpg one time. But +100mpg in subfreezing temps!?!

Teach me your ways, master of the mpg.
kickflipjr,One place or another I have told everybody everything. Find a reply I gave to LxMike on my 101MPG post. Check what I just wrote philmcneal on this page. Look thru my ramblings on the threads I have up.

I will always try to help anyone I can. If you have specific questions, just ask them. I will try to help as much as I can. I have not done anything very complicated. Some of the best are very easy.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
If I had that kind of cash, my EV would be finished, registered, and road-legal.

But the idea of building a super-efficient car, using something akin to what you have as a base, is appealing.
And cheaply. I honestly have not done terribly much, have just gotten a lot of results for what I did do. I believe I need every thing I have and most or all of it is absolutely critical. If you decide to do something similar I will help however I can. ZX2 P.S. Read the replies above and on my other threads.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:16 AM   #23
Registered Member

[quote=kickflipjr]109 MPG run /32.1 miles /38 MPH AVG/ 61 MPH max/ TEMP 25

Almost too good to be true. I know metro got 133mpg one time. But +100mpg in subfreezing temps!?!

Teach me your ways, master of the mpg
Old 11-20-2006, 05:50 AM   #24
Registered Member

kickflipjr, On my 110 MPG thread I have put a link to all the CO ZX2 posts I have made since I've been here. Maybe you will find something you can use. CO ZX2
Old 11-23-2006, 05:27 AM   #25
Registered Member

Thread bump... CO ZX2 added more info in the first post of the thread. Go there.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:29 AM   #26
Registered Member

Hello viewers. This is Co ZX2. Thanks for looking. I first put up this thread 11/19/2006. Since then there have been 645 viewers of this page.

Why don't you all register with Gassavers then you can put in your 2 cents worth on this page and any others that you care to. You can comment, make suggestions, bring up topics, ask for help and much more. It's free.

I looked at Gassavers for about a month and a half before I registered. Nothing to it. I received help and info from other members that would have taken me a while to find out by myself. You will find them a friendly bunch.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Old 12-27-2006, 07:48 AM   #27
Registered Member

Cool thread, I am a ZX2 owner too and would like to improve my mpg. Are there any other mods you uses other then the Aero mods you listed in thte original post?
BeoWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #28
Registered Member

Been wondering where the ZX2 owners were hiding. Beo, glad you dropped in.

Aero mods: rear fender skirts, grille block, air deflectors at tires front and rear, have been working on front fender skirts for a while. See page 1.

I installed and use an injector shutoff switch. Kills the engine by cutting the power to the injectors. I use this for engine-off coasting. Does away with fiddling with the ignition switch. I have wrapped my exhaust with aluminum foil in the area of the O2 sensors. Helps hold the heat in the sensors.

I run 50-55# air pressure in 185/65/14 tires.

No doubt the single most important item I have is ScanGauge II. It has made a totally different driver of me. And I learned to slow down some.

Is your car manual or auto? Year? You should enter your car info into GS Garage. Also any gas log info you have.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #29
Registered Member

I've been away from this site for awhile. 100 mpg out of a normal (4 cyl, non-hybrid) car in winter is incredible. It's making me want to try some grill blocks! Do you use the clutch to bump start your car after EOC? I don't want to do that because of drivetrain and clutch wear so I just coast with the engine idling. My Yaris engine uses only 0.1 gph at idle. What does your ZX2 use at idle?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #30
Registered Member

AlexK, Welcome back. I do bump start. Below 40 MPH I start in 4th gear. Above that 5th gear. Most all serious FE drivers do it. Personally I expect my clutch to last indefinitely.

My SG shows .2 GPM at idle, Worse when cold. Sometimes I do better than that driving down the highway at 60 MPH. On each of the runs posted above I used .3 gal of fuel total in 30+ miles.

I used to coast with engine on to keep my speedo working but found that if I keyed off then back on the speedo came back. I since have installed a switch to kill the engine by turning off the power to the injectors. This also makes the engine start cleaner at bump.

When I began Engine Off Coasting is when I started realizing pretty big FE gains. Also realize that my average MPG now is 55.77, not 100. But I have maintained 50+ MPG for over 6000 miles now. Before I did any of the stuff you read about here the best ever was 43 MPG.