1984 crx project - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
Registered Member

Re: 1984 crx project

Thanks for asking, Arky.

I've finally taken the time to get the headlight buckets in, the fill panel fully mounted and the rear cover straightened out. I've been driving the car to my part time work for the last few weeks. 28-29mpg is what she achieves in current trim, although the temp gauge has been too high for my taste. Next order of business before turbo is to get the cooling in order. The teeny single core radiator should do the job, but upon removal it seems that there is a large amount of sediment in the filler neck. Since there really are no good products for cleaning out a core, I'll be replacing it. I took the time to inspect the timing belt and sure enough there was a small cut in it. Being an interference motor like most Hondas, it needed to be replaced.
Sediment in the filler neck of the radiator:

Trashed timing belt tensioner (stock, looks to be original to the motor)

Cut timing belt ready to let loose:

Supposedly improved impeller design water pump and OEM pump:

My new Spectra radiator, Gates belt, and pump came last Friday. The tensioner showed up on Saturday (my birthday) and then it's been 90 degrees with very high humidity since, so only the pump was re installed. By next week the weather should break, so I can take some more proper pictures of all the progress made to date and the repairs can be finished.

hondaguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #22
Registered Member

Such a cool build! What are your fe goals once you boost on the longer geared trans? Also any more interior pictures?

I almost bought one in decent shape a few months back, but got my vx instead.

GasSavers_Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 AM   #23
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words.
Realistically without an obd1 conversion and some good tuning, it will be difficult to achieve better than low 40's safely. I'll be running an AFC hack for the time being, which can be done pretty effectively, but it will still end up running fairly rich.

The future game plan is going to entail swapping a newer generation motor into the car and using more modern electronics to get the best of both worlds in terms of performance and economy. Heck, if the project stretches out long enough, I just may have to go with an a/c induction setup and ditch gas altogether. Currently the drive and battery costs are quite cost prohibitive to go this route, but I keep going over to the diyelectriccar site quite often to see where technology is going.

Your choice of going with the vx is a wise one. The performance and tuning capabilities of an obd1 car far exceeds what this pre-obd car can do.

The interior of the car is coming along, although far from mint. It does have new carpet and the 86 crx si interior, which is a huge improvement from the original 84 dx interior. The dx interior consisted of pressed cardboard panels with thin vinyl adhered to it. The si panels at least have some style and substance. When I do my next photo shoot I'll post up interior shots as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #24
Registered Member

It came down to availability of parts really and not wanting to deal with another carbureted car although I have a ton of experience with Dellertos/webers.

It sure seems like everyone strives to go OBD I in the Honda community. If you don't mind me asking what more modern drivetrain do you plan on running?(still in the Honda family)

I have a ton more questions to ask you and I will do that over pm because I don't want to clutter up your thread, but I can't wait to see how things turn out!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #25
Registered Member

Newest interior and exterior shots:

Headlight buckets in:

Side shot with door trim installed:

I removed the bow from the rear cover using some round tubing and screws. Not perfect, but much better. Should reduce some rear turbulence.

Interior (still a work in progress):

Where'd the sunroof go?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Mark this as the first time I've ever noticed or cared about wheel gap. Planning to lower it at all?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #27
Registered Member

The interior isn't bad for the year. Are those 3rd gen prelude seats?

Louvers would be cool, but what about fe...
Old 07-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Mark this as the first time I've ever noticed or cared about wheel gap. Planning to lower it at all?
LOL!

It may seem large, but the car is on the ground as it is. I look under most cars out my side windows.

The other reason I probably will not lower the car is that there is very limited suspension travel in the front end due to the torsion bar setup. Even a one inch drop causes increased suspension bottoming, so probably not. The "large" 14" wheels and larger tires is a contributing factor to the appearance of over sized gaps.

Edit: I looked at the photo again and noticed the passenger rear wheel was in a bit of a dip. Here's the other side and closer to how it sits level:

The seats are from a prelude. I plan on getting new covers for them in the fall when I put her to sleep for the winter.

FE note: Even with lots of idle time after the timing belt installation I've achieved the best mileage to date, 31.29 mpg. Not earth shattering, but very promising as the car has never gotten better than 28.5 previously. With tuning I'm more confident with the car's ability to achieve mid 40's. The two changes made were the rear bumper mod and airing up the tires from 32 to 42. I'm going to slip a stock computer and injectors in fairly soon to see what the car can achieve with the shorter geared transmission.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #29
Registered Member

It's been over a month ... time for an update!!!
VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #30
Registered Member

I could detail the stereo I've put it, but it doesn't really relate to fe. I've just been driving the car as it is for now. The cooling system is in order, so I could be putting the turbo in and getting it tuned, but I'm not feeling to flush with cash right now to buy a wideband.

I'll do my best to get the safc installed next week, just to make sure it's operational. That should cure my CEL that I'm getting from the integra ecu and injectors, although without a way of reading O2 levels I can't properly tune it safely. Everything I have left to do is incredibly time consuming.

With the kids going back to school and second half property taxes due I'm pretty pinched for cash. Look for more extensive progress in the fall just before the car goes into hibernation.