1993 Civic CX transmission?? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
1993 Civic CX transmission??

I found one of these in a yard near me. Is this transmission worth taking? I have the HF with the shorter gears (49 state, I guess....not the taller ones that I'd hoped for). Anyway, what's the gear ratio for this CX? I'm wondering if it would be better for me.

Otherwise, should I rescue this tranny before they crush the car? Anyone need it? (Just not sure if it would be worth it to you after shipping).

-Brian in Virginia

Old 11-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Driving on E

I wasn't aware that the HF came in different gear ratios. I'd recheck that just to be sure.

The CX transmission is only good if you have a 92-95 Civic. It will NOT fit in earlier civics at all.... well, unless you want to hack and weld it on there, and then convert to a hydrolic clutch.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
Sure. There was a 49 state HF and "the other" model. The other model (California?) was the one that gets better mileage, due to a taller 5th gear. My '91 was that car. My (current) '89 is the former. This is why if you check the EPA estimates, you'll see 2 listings for the HF model (probably all between '88-'91. The worst part about it is finding out how to decipher which trans is which when it comes down to differentiating between HF's.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I wasn't aware that the HF came in different gear ratios. I'd recheck that just to be sure.

The CX transmission is only good if you have a 92-95 Civic. It will NOT fit in earlier civics at all.... well, unless you want to hack and weld it on there, and then convert to a hydrolic clutch.
Matt: The HF did come in 3 different ratio's. They had one for California, which was pretty close to the same as a CX, then they had a 49 state unit, which was the lowest and then they had a high altitude model, which I think was some other final ratio.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Can't the CX transmission be used in a later civic like a '96-'00 civic? I know I am looking for one for my HX but I'm in Tulsa, OK.
kwtorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtorbe
Can't the CX transmission be used in a later civic like a '96-'00 civic? I know I am looking for one for my HX but I'm in Tulsa, OK.
Yep.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
Registered Member

you can easily use it on 92-00 D-series civics, and you can make it work on 88-91 D-series civics if you do a cable-to-hydrolic clutch changeover... Hasport sells a kit. I don't think there is any hacking or welding involved.
jpciii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpciii
you can easily use it on 92-00 D-series civics, and you can make it work on 88-91 D-series civics if you do a cable-to-hydrolic clutch changeover... Hasport sells a kit. I don't think there is any hacking or welding involved.
One of the mounts on the 92-00 transmissions are different from the 88-91, so there would need to be some sort of custom bracket made or purchased.

For the money required to it to work (cable to hydrolic kit AND the mount kit) you would be much better off just trying to find a California CRX HF transmission.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote