1997 Honda EX 5-Speed - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Red face 1997 Honda EX 5-Speed

I have a 1997 Honda EX 5-Speed that I'm trying to squeeze the most mileage out of! I installed a cold air intake, high flow cat converter and updated the plugs! So far Iv only achieved 35 mpg! I'm open for any ideas you all may have!

One of the tricks I picked up from the forums is the increase in tire pressure which I will try1 Any additional ideas that work, let me know! I'm game to try!!!

safetyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: 1997 Honda EX 5-Speed

Tire pressure is a good one. Keep it above the recommended pressure posted on the car and below the maximum molded into the tire's sidewall.

The cold air intake probably won't help, and it may hurt. Some cars gain fuel economy with a warm air intake. Apart from the temperature, stock intakes flow freely enough for anyone who is trying to save fuel; the throttle is likely a far worse restriction.

Similarly, the exhaust upgrade probably won't make a difference (though it definitely won't hurt as long as it was done right).

There are many driving techniques that can make a much bigger difference than any car modifications.

What is your motivation? Are you more interesting in saving the environment or your wallet? That makes a difference as to what you should do, sometimes.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

Red face Re: 1997 Honda EX 5-Speed

For me it's the wallet! I am always looking to save a buck! I know there is always ways to spend one!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Ah. In that case, it is not recommended to spend money on modifications, as most will never pay for themselves. If you have to replace wear items (like tires) then it can sometimes be worth investing a little more in an upgraded product instead of buying something else.

What kind of roads do you drive on, and in what kind of traffic conditions?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

The roads I run are rural with lots of turns! They tend to be relatively free of traffic but when I meet some they tend to be moving slow! Everything from farm equipment to horse and buggies are potential!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Registered Member

Your roads give you a lot of potential for using hypermiling techniques to improve your fuel economy. Without much traffic it's easier to vary your speed more, as well as not having to stop as often or drive as fast.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Registered Member

How about changing 4th and 5th gear? I heard that the sedans with a "tamer ride" then my EX get better fuel economy in the upper gears! Have you heard of anyone doing that and if it was successful?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

no, what you would do is change the final drive or just change out the transmission. Changing out the final drive would boost city and highway mileage considerably, at the cost of acceleration.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
no, what you would do is change the final drive or just change out the transmission. Changing out the final drive would boost city and highway mileage considerably, at the cost of acceleration.
Enter the VX.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
Registered Member

I think it's probably difficult to just change out a gear or two in most transmissions.

I also don't know how your EX would react to taller gears. The roads you're on are probably 35-55mph, which is great for a lot of cars' stock gears. Taller gears become more relevant if you do much freeway driving, or if your gears are excessively short.

An example of excessively short gears: My VW's 5th gear is good from 25mph. I drive in the same gear at 30mph as I do at 70, and its engine responds very well to low RPM.