1st generation odyssey really that bad? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

1st generation odyssey really that bad?

i was looking at a minivan for my uncle, he has a family of 6, so i was thinking about the 4 cylinder odyssey with the 2.2 accord engine, but i hear that its really underpowered. wouldn't airing the tires to max pressure and adding an intake help a bit?

i mean its about 500 pounds more than the 94-97 accord with the same engine, so its pretty much like having 3-4 other people sitting in the accord during acceleration, which isnt that bad.

I can see a odyssey loaded up with 7 people and groceries, but the average person dont need that much power anyways

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
Registered Member

"Underpowered" is a matter of perception. I'd think a 2.2 in that vehicle would be just fine. It's a minivan, not nascar. I really think we need more choices today with that sort of power/weight ratio. EVERYTHING has moremoremore power.

palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #3

I guess it depends on where you live, in Chicago's burbs you need the power to merge into traffic on the interstates.
ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

In the early 80s 120-150 HP was going into 4000lb+ camaros, diplomats, imperials but by 1990 140-150 in a 3500lb minivan was "underpowered"????

However, remember that a 7 passenger minivan typically has a load rating about the same as a "half ton" fullsize truck (f-150 d-150, 1500 etc) , of around 2000lbs or so all up.

IMO dumbass motor journalists weren't making the translation to a higher driving position in a minivan very well. The lower you are to the ground, the faster it feels, the higher, the slower. Do your 10s 0-60 in a minivan and it doesn't feel fast as compared to doing it in a rollerskate civic.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
In the early 80s 120-150 HP was going into 4000lb+ camaros, diplomats, imperials but by 1990 140-150 in a 3500lb minivan was "underpowered"????
Those engines still made huge torque, and those Camaros didn't weigh that much.

My 1987 Cadillac had 120hp and weighed that much, but it had gobs of torque and could merge into fast/aggressive traffic well enough.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

Would you consider a 2nd gen Odyssey (the real one, not an Isuzu Oasis)?
I have one that will be put up for sale in a week or two.
Click on the "pre-quel" in my signature for the beginnings of my entry.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Would you consider a 2nd gen Odyssey (the real one, not an Isuzu Oasis)?
I have one that will be put up for sale in a week or two.
Click on the "pre-quel" in my signature for the beginnings of my entry.
well im looking for the best option van for fe, while being low in price (4000 or under). the odyssey would be about low 20's combined with some techniques right?
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
take some for a drive, I think it's plenty of power, people who write for auto magazines tend to be idiots who want to go so fast that they mess their pants, a mini van is not meant to go fast, it's ment for hauling people and stuff, it is a work vehicle.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

My 2004 (same V6 as the 2000 above, only with a 5-spd auto instead of 4) gives an average 21mpg with my wife driving. I've done 30mpg on the highway, and my best in town, warmed up, was 34. Not earth-shattering, but not bad either.

It frustrates me to have mileage this low. I wish it would respond better to driving style, and/or just use less to start with.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
Registered Member

Her van, mine now that she's taken over my Passat wagon, has returned an average of 23 over the 170k+ miles she drove it for her business. I've driven it for less than a tankful and am somewhere just above 25 mpg in round town use. With more practice at driving this mobile storage shed I think I could do a bit better, but I don't want the practice.
What I find annoying is that converter lock-up in top (4th) gear doesn't occur until 50 mph! Drop to 48, regardless of actual operating load, and it unlocks.
<p.s. finally uploaded an image of this green giant>

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote