2000 Mazda Protege LX (5 speed) - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

2000 Mazda Protege LX (5 speed)

I finally got the used Protege I bought in Dallas back home. It has the 1.6L DOHC engine and has 132,000 miles on the odometer.

I found a good deal on some 14" Miata rims so I had those installed on the Michelin tires that came with the car.

I have a few tasks planned and have already purchased the parts I need.

12/10/11
- Changed manual transmission fluid to 75W/90 synthetic Royal Purple (2.83 qts)
- Changed air filter
- Cleaned Throttle Body
- Changed PCV Valve
- Changed out power steering fluid using Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid
(using a large syringe I took out 10 oz of old and put 10 oz new. Did this 8 times after driving a few miles)
- Cleaned the engine bay thoroughly as it was very dusty and dirty. I did this not only for looks but to prepare for the timing belt change next week and to inspect for leaks.
- Ran 8 oz of Marvel mystery oil through the engine using the brake booster line (similar to seafoam treatment but cheaper). Once I saw white smoke out the back I let it sit a few hours.

Next week I plan on completing a timing belt change, including water pump, drive belts, seals and gaskets.

I will also replace the thermostat, radiator hoses and do a coolant flush.

Finally I will replace spark plugs with NGK and spark plug wires and boots. For some reason this Mazda has 2 spark plug wire and 2 Coil on Plugs.

Afterwards I will change out the oil using Mobil 1 synthetic (5W/20). The owners manual calls out 10W/30 but since my other cars use 5W/20 I went with that grade.

Once I complete all of this I will have a decent baseline to work with my MPG improvements.

This vehicle was garage kept and it appears the oil has been changed regularly. Other than that I don't think any other type maintenance has been performed. Certainly not the timing belt and with 132,000 miles on the engine I think it's long overdue.

tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: 2000 Mazda Protege LX (5 speed)

congrats! very nice looking car btw.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Alright. Small setback. I reviewed my timing belt kit that I purchased on Amazon from seller Proparts USA. I noticed the timing belt was made by Flennor in Germany.

Since I never heard of this manufacturer then I looked up some reviews and most were negative on the final fit.

I've asked for a refund and will purchase Gates belts but worst case scenario I will keep all parts but the timing belt and purchase a Gates timing belt for $35.00.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

I finished my timing belt job. And it appears everything is running smoothly. The last part of the job I have left is torquing down the crankshaft bolt. With the car off the jacks and on the ground there wasn't much clearance under the car to get much leverage on the bolt so I will put it on ramps this evening and see how much leverage I can get.
I exchanged the Flennor timing belt with a Gates but used everything else in the timing belt kit (seals, water pump, drive belts, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, tensioner spring, valve cover gasket).
I did find a seal puller tool in my toolbox that made pulling the camshaft seals a 5 second job.

I did break the passenger side motor mount so I ordered that online since O'Reillys wanted $130 and I could order it from Rockauto for $60.00.
I also replaced the thermostat, radiator hoses, spark plugs (with NGK), spark plug wires and COP (with NGK)
Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

So after buying the Mazda Protege, buying the parts and registering the car it's cost me $3000.00.
I also have sold about $1,500 in parts off my Honda Accord that I parted out, so in essence this car has cost me about $1,500.00.
What's interesting is that I gambled that I would spend somewhere around $1,200 to fix the damaged Honda Accord assuming Murphy's law didn't apply but there are always unknown to a damaged vehicle.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

I may spoke too soon about no issues after the timing belt change. After the car warms up the idle speed goes up and down and sometimes the car will stall.
I have to wait until Friday to look if there are any loose vacuum hosesbecause by the time I get home it's dark .
My son changed the oil today so I'm wondering if something was knocked loose?
Also I reset the computer and same stalling issues.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
Registered Member

I have heard that a bad coolant temp sensor, unplugged sensor or air bubble in coolant can cause the wandering idle that you describe.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Registered Member

Interesting. Thanks.

I haven't bled the coolant system because I thought with the overflow tank that it doesn't need it.

I did change the thermostat so who knows, maybe I didn't plug something back in.