2008 Si - not bad - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

2008 Si - not bad

I just filled up the Borg (2008 Si) for the first time since the day I brought it home. I only got 32.6 mpg... BUT:

That included a number of bonzai acceleration runs, and one closed-location 120-mph run.

If I can do that and still get about the same mileage I was getting out of Quack (the 2005 Si), I can't wait to see what I get out of the next tank.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: 2008 Si - not bad

I see you stuck with an SI. they are really nice. I do like the 4 door ones too. maybe it is because I am a little older and have a child.

I told myself that the next vehicle I get would be a 4 door and then bought a 2 door hatch. maybe should have waited.

how does it compare to the pickup of the 2004? I think the 2008 has more power but is heavier.

congrats on the new car

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

The 2002-2005 Si would run the 1/4 mile in 16.2 seconds at 86 mph, according to Car and Driver magazine. With an AEM V2 intake but less sticky tires, I ran it in 16.177 at 85.7 mph. Pretty close.

According to Car and Driver, the 2006-2010 Civic will run the 1/4 mile in 15.2 at 94 mph. Giggity!

My old '99 would probably outrun the new 2008, though. It weighed 400 lbs less, and had similar power after my bolt-ons. That one had a CAI, header, 2 1/2 -inch exhaust, 12.5 lb flywheel, racing clutch, short-throw shifter, 17x7 wheels and sticky 40-series tires (nearly 1.0g on the skidpad), stiffer springs and shocks, thicker anti-roll bars, upgraded bushings and motor mount inserts.... I got that 1.6L Civic up to nearly 140 mph once before getting pulled over... argh!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
I got that 1.6L Civic up to nearly 140 mph once before getting pulled over... argh!
How did that work out? Huge ticket, loss of license, or arrest?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

I had a pretty awesome truck a while back that I would have loved to run a qtr on. never got around to it as I sold it when I adopted my kid. it would do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. all the calculators said I should have ran about a 14.9 or something but you know how those calculators are. real world is much better.

you still have all the bolt ons that you can do to the new car.

140 is pretty fast. hope you had tires that could handle it. I don't do triple digits anymore. too much that goes with that.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
How did that work out? Huge ticket, loss of license, or arrest?
Huge ticket. This was back when I was in college. I was drag-racing 2 other cars (1 was my brother, and the other was a carload of girls in a mid 80s Cougar with a 5.0) away from a stoplight on a 6-lane road. I was beating them so badly that I had put about 100 yards on them both. I had just crested a rise and saw a cop parked on the on-ramp under a street light. I got hard on the brakes, and he turned his radar gun toward me. He got a reading, but I was by him before he could get a lock on the speed. He got me at 76 mph going away. His initial reading was 136 mph. He wrote me for 26 over and reckless driving, so I had to go to court. I went 4 days in a row while the traffic court tried to decide what to do. I ended up paying a fee for the court, a new traffic school thing they had just started, and a ticket deferral. It never went on the driving record. Whew!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I had a pretty awesome truck a while back that I would have loved to run a qtr on. never got around to it as I sold it when I adopted my kid. it would do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. all the calculators said I should have ran about a 14.9 or something but you know how those calculators are. real world is much better.

you still have all the bolt ons that you can do to the new car.

140 is pretty fast. hope you had tires that could handle it. I don't do triple digits anymore. too much that goes with that.
The air intake won't fit the new car... different intake manifold. I need to sell it on e-bay, along with the spare tire, jack, tool kit, floor mats, owner's manual, and cargo cover. I'm hoping to get $150-200 for all of it.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Registered Member

I kind of meant you can go beyond the factory 195 (or so) horsepower.

not really to reuse the one you have but to put one on the new one. that car could easily be a rocket (kind of already is).

it would have been really sweet if you could have reused the intake but being such an age difference, it makes sense that it wouldn't.

can't believe you got off pretty much scott free from that ticket. that is messed up but cool at the same time. I got two tickets when I was in high school and that screwed me up bad. neither were really that bad but when I got out of college and got my own insurance, the insurance payment was more than my truck payment. the truck was brand new too. that hurt for quite some time. all that is ancient history though.