201 tips Good sticky Spice added. Few mistakes found? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

201 tips Good sticky Spice added. Few mistakes found?

43. Don't drive a gas-guzzler
Is it about time to go for six cylinders instead of four?

Really?

56. Clever parking
Try to park your car so that you so that when you get back in it later and drive away you only use a forward gear; avoid reverse gear maneuvers it saves gas.

Another I do is park as close to the road as I can. For one I don't waste time searching for a spot, my car isn't endangered by careless folk, and nobody gets in my way when in time to search. And if you really counting pennies because, there's no really anyone to worry about it's easier to coast plus the exersize wouldn't hurt anyone either.

64. Avoid parallel parking
When you park on the street avoid parallel parking that way you will ensure that you have enough room to drive out of the space rather than having to maneuvering.

If you must paralles park and have sub-par wheels you can pull up on the curb and once the wheel comes of you should be in your spot.

82. Coast with the engine switched off
Coasting with the engine switched off is one of the biggest reasons Hybrid vehicles return such good gas consumption, many of them automatically shut down the engine when the accelerator is released and the vehicle is coasting.
Coasting with the engine switched off achieved with non-Hybrids to, by selecting neutral and switching the ignition key to ?Acc? from ?Run? don't switch to "Off" or the steering lock will engage.
As soon as you feel the engine stop, turn the key to the "Run" position and you're ready for a re-start. Be careful this doesn't suit automatic transmission cars or cars with power steering, this technique is considered to be an advance one and so practice somewhere safe first, and also check that coasting with the engine switched off is legal where you live in some states it isn't

Engine off coasting is good but, if you have an automatic please realize that if your coasting in nuetral it's creating a lot of heat and sometimes when you turn the car back on and slip it in gear it can become stuck in a lower gear or the torque converter may not remain locked. I would recommend a simpe generic trans cooler.

87. Use traffic lights to your advantage
When you are coming up to a red light, slow down early if there is a car in front of you and see if it 'trips' the sensor if so you may not have to come to a complete stop.

A simple but, very effective rule. Everyone should do this but, we all see idiots everyday that hurry and stop.

97. Don't take the bait
It is so easy to be competitive when you are driving, so resist knee-jerk reactions and retaliation against other drivers' aggressive actions.

Ahh....Burn that ******* so he won't be tempted to race others in the future saving even more gas. j/k

118. Increasing the quality of gas
Increasing the quality of gasoline you use is a pretty good first-step, though don't bother going beyond the grade recommended for your auto, there is just no point!

This also means staying away from Valero and Sterling (any generic station) to pay 2cents less to save a dime a tank to get 3 less mpg's.

125. Avoid bad all forms of weather
This is difficult we know, but if you are able avoid driving in all forms of bad weather because torrential rain, snow, slush will dramatically increase rolling resistance as well as impact upon visibility and your safety.

Ohhhhhh the irony....These are the only time I can't ride my bike.

136. Drafting in a crosswind
Rare circumstances are such that it is possible to effectively "draft" a larger vehicle in crosswind without following directly behind it. Occasionally crosswind conditions create a low pressure area behind a vehicle in front to extend into adjacent lanes you can take advantage of reduced drag legally and with reduced risk.

I really like that one. Thumbs up for who thought of that one. It's on!

146. Drive at 55
Maximum fuel efficiency is 55 mph. This may vary slightly depending on the type of car you drive, but speeds over 60 mph decrease fuel efficiency drastically.

Sammy who?

149. Up date your auto
Up date your auto, a newer vehicle is the best gas saving device on the market currently especially if you go for a Hybrid.

Or all those cool cars oversease like the Lupo that will never be sold here.

184. Downshift when climbing hills
It is more gas efficient to downshift when climbing a hill than it is to keep accelerating.

Also I noticed that when I climb hill it's better to just "throttle" it enough to maintain speed and let off before the peak (even if it means losing speed) because, you can gain it on the way back down.

195. Buy a 'common rail' diesel
If your going to buy a diesel vehicle, ensure it is a new 'common rail' type, as these are approximately 10% more efficient than older diesels.

This is true but at the same time IDI diesels with non common rail can still easy crest over 50.

185. Drafting
At freeway speeds driving close behind a large vehicle can create a drafting effect and will dramatically reduce gas consumption. However it is not recommended for many reasons, primarily it is dangerous and is illegal in most states.

Increase not reduce correct? But, yes I concede that it's dangerous

I have also noticed that driving at night in the cool dense air dramatically improves my fuel economy.

I'm not bashing any of these rules I reall enjoy that the time was taken for them to be put together so, Thank you. I just wanted to add my two cents on some and see what others thought.

Thanks for reading,
Chris

GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:43 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Yes, it's full of mistakes and controversial suggestions...I posted a thread pointing a couple out, too.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

I don't worry about drafting here, but you need to undersatnd my idea of drafting.

Never follow another vehicle at less than your stopping distance.

That being said I have seen people pull over in front of me and PASS THE PERSON IN THE MIDDLE LANE!!! 3 lane interstate as well as 2 lane, because I am leaving a large enough gap!

I95 North between Richmond and DC maybe 10 % of the drivers leave a stopping idstance between them and the driver in front.

If your description of drafting is following soo close that you can not
*Stop in the gap
*Avoid road debris that could be deadly
*Aggravate the other drivers
*Cause yourself undue stress

Then your idea of drafting falls into my "FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE"
category.

regards
gary
Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post

56. Clever parking
Try to park your car so that you so that when you get back in it later and drive away you only use a forward gear; avoid reverse gear maneuvers it saves gas.

Another I do is park as close to the road as I can. For one I don't waste time searching for a spot, my car isn't endangered by careless folk, and nobody gets in my way when in time to search. And if you really counting pennies because, there's no really anyone to worry about it's easier to coast plus the exersize wouldn't hurt anyone either.

Thanks for reading,
Chris
For me, there are two exceptions to that rule:
1. If my wife is with me, I park as close as possible...she has some health issues.

2. On hot days, if I see a shady spot to park, I'll use whatever gas it takes to get there!

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
On hot days, if I see a shady spot to park, I'll use whatever gas it takes to get there!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:

97. Don't take the bait
It is so easy to be competitive when you are driving, so resist knee-jerk reactions and retaliation against other drivers' aggressive actions.

Ahh....Burn that ******* so he won't be tempted to race others in the future saving even more gas. j/k

Thanks for reading,
Chris
Kinda like the guy who was behind me, honking, while I was waiting for the cars from the opposite direction to make their left turns (they had the arrow). After we both rounded the corner, he flew around me, and raced to the next red light. I wonder if he saw me laughing at him?

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
43. Don't drive a gas-guzzler
Is it about time to go for six cylinders instead of four?

Really?

Thanks for reading,
Chris
Actually, I have had some six and even eight cylinder cars which used less gas than some four cylinder cars...my '77 Volvo 245 wagon, '79 Chevette (which was an unusual situation), and my '76 Chevy LUV, for example...

Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Actually, I have had some six and even eight cylinder cars which used less gas than some four cylinder cars...my '77 Volvo 245 wagon, '79 Chevette (which was an unusual situation), and my '76 Chevy LUV, for example...
Oh, Agreed but the majority of the time i'd have to say 4cyl's would easily best a v-8.

GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote