3 miles longer drive to save fuel? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #11
Registered Member

Wow, thanks for all of the responses! I'm currently doing some testing, in both directions to see what I like. To be honest, everyday requires we to get on the interstate for a minimum of 3 miles coming to work, but then if/when I get off of the interstate (which TRUELY is the shortest and most direct route - I drop the wife of 3 blocks from the interstate, and park 1 block from the interstate and it's a STRAIGHT shot), the side road is an almost straight shot, with almost identical terrain, both directions provide some really good spots to coast downhill for .75-1 mile in 3-4 spots.

Anyway, basically, I have to figure out the most FE way to get in, and to get home, and though I'm going to test some more, I think the interstate into work, I go in early and this morning felt perfectly comfortable doing 55mph, was great until about 4 miles before my exit. I saw the traffic backing up though, so I took a side road, hitting 2 lights (out of 7) and 2 stop signs. This is very likely the most FE (and probably the quickest too!) way in. Only took right at 55 minutes.

Going home the interstate is much worse, until about 4 miles north of where I would normally get on, and then it gets VERY light. I'll likely go almost identically reverse to get the best FE.

Sure, got some testing, guess I mostly wanted to voice it out, and see what every thought! Sorry for the uber long post, thanks again!

sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote