$4 a gallon and back to their old ways - already! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
Registered Member

DKJones aero the Rebel and get 100 MPG .

regards
gary

Old 05-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Don't give me that "I want to spend time with my family" nonsense. If you were thinking about your family you wouldn't be taking risks that could leave them without their parent. Speeding gets you there maybe 1 or 2 minutes faster AT MOST. Do you jog to and from your car? How much of that precious time do you spend sitting in front of the TV? How much time are you going to spend with your family if you get pulled over for a ticket, or worse, get in an accident?

I do the speed limit, maybe 5 mph over. Depends on the situation. Most of the time there's no benefit to speeding but I match the speed of traffic for safety reasons. Every day a few *******s speed and cut around me. I catch up to them at the light every time. I used to speed on long freeway trips, but these last few trips have taught me that if I do 70 vs 80, I make one less stop at the gas station, hence I GET THERE AT THE SAME TIME but with a couple more bucks in my bank account.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
I haven't gotten it yet but you can bet i'll be hypermiling in that thing.
I don't think you are going to be hypermiling on a 250 Rebel, they are fairly underpowered and you're more than likely going to be wringing its tail just to keep up with traffic.

I've had a number of small street bikes and the temptation to just beat the hell out of them is extremely difficult to overcome. My current FZR400 is just big enough to escape that fate, you can ride it conservatively and still more than keep up with traffic but its still small enough to handle extremely well and be very flickable.

Handling is way more important on a motorcycle than in a car, when you are on two wheels you want the most predictable handling you can get since your life could well depend on dodging the next cage that aims straight at you.

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
EH3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Every day a few *******s speed and cut around me. I catch up to them at the light every time.
so true.

i use to drive 15-20mph over everywhere. i ripped on my car hard from stops and was never able to best 33mpg

i slowed down to 5mph over, i now consistenly get 40mpg with about 5mins extra driving time in thick traffic. no biggie.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
Registered Member

The world record for a 250 CC bike is something like 250 MPG. Aero improvements will give you better top end performance.

regards
gary
Old 05-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #16

After this evening's ride home, I hope gas goes to $6 a gallon OR they go ahead and pull that 55mph speed limit thing again - then actually have police enforce it. Heck, the extra cops used to enforce it could pay for themselves in a short time (at least in my area).
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #17
Registered Member

They way they are slowing down here I would be there are a lot less tickets being issued. Last 45 miles trip west to Richmond there were 6 troopers trying to catch speeders on the interstate. Since only a few are going 75-80 they stand out in the crowd.

Kind of hard for a trooper to pick one out of a bumper to bumper crowd going 75-80 in a 65 zone. It's reckless over 80 here and I would bet they are all getting nailed with the $500 fine and 4 points.

regards
gary
Old 05-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #18
Registered Member

Why pick 55?

Maybe the national speed limit should be 35, eh?

Save a lot of fuel and lives too..

Then, when we get used to that, we could drop the speed limit to 25.

With radar operated cameras *everywhere*, to make sure that we obey like good little sheeple should.

Very few people seem to know this, but "the land of the free" has a higher percentage of its citizens incarcerated than any other country on our planet.

One in every 100 Americans is in prison.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=4359509

We're #1, and just to make sure we stay that way, we ought to work on making sure that we double the incarceration rate to 2 in every 100 citizens.

We could make anything over 50 mph into a felony.. That should do the trick.

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #19
Registered Member

From 1974 to 1987 the national speed limit was 55 mph. During the next 9 years federal speed limits disappeared and it was and is up to individual states to set their own limits.

I favor a reasonable speed limit (65 mph) with a minimum speed of 55. This way drivers who want to drive in the 55 to 65 mph range will be able to and those who want to drive 75 and over will need to make sure they can afford the points and fines they're liable to collect if local law enforcement wants to collect easy money from them.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumesucker View Post
Why pick 55?

Maybe the national speed limit should be 35, eh?
Why 35mph? Why not 15mph? Imagine how much fuel you could save with that national speed limit. Maybe we should make anything over 20mph a felony.

dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote