44 psi tires - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-23-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

44 psi tires

For the guys on the list that run 44 psi rated tires, do any of you run them higher than 44 psi? Do you feel safe doing so?

John

Old 05-23-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Some are going higher - mine were at 40 psi and when the weather got warmer they were up to 45psi a month AFTER I had set them to 40 so air seems to have LEAKED INTO THEM - just a note that apparently the higher the pressure the more you have to watch them. That or my digital gauge is acting up from too much pressure - it's rated up to 50 psi but . . . I don't feel that comfortable running too high as it adds more stress to the tire and could result in a really loud blowout instead of a puncture.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Some are going higher - mine were at 40 psi and when the weather got warmer they were up to 45psi a month AFTER I had set them to 40 so air seems to have LEAKED INTO THEM - just a note that apparently the higher the pressure the more you have to watch them. That or my digital gauge is acting up from too much pressure - it's rated up to 50 psi but . . . I don't feel that comfortable running too high as it adds more stress to the tire and could result in a really loud blowout instead of a puncture.
Most materials expand when heated. So going from cold weather to hot weather can increase ur PSI. Also if you first checked after a cold night, and than next time you drove around heating up your tires and checked that can increase PSI.

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah I know that but driving at 25mph for a mile is not going to get them that warm on a 60 degree day and that was when I found the pressure at 45psi and usually I inflate during the day - no point in doing it when it's cold outside. Be really funny if they warm up and the pressure changes a lot in the first few miles of driving - could explain some of the mileage variations on short vs longer trips.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am running 55 psi in tires that are rated at 36. I have been running them for about 8 months, without any particular problems. The only problems I have encountered is they ride rougher and they wear down the middle more than the sides. As far as road contact, after the first couple of months, the tires are worn to suit the amount of pressure, so the road contact does not seem to be as much an issue.

I realize people are afraid of having a bigger issue if a tire blows out, but from what I've seen I think your less likely to have a blowout because the tire sidewalls are so stiff that the tires don't really flex, hense the rough ride. If they develop a leak which lets the tires get low, so that they heat up and blow out, then they would have done the same thing at whatever tire pressures you had them at.

As far as safety is concerned, I am not saying everyone should run 55, but I haven't had any problems that I have seen and I wouldn't be concerned about doing so, from a safety standpoint.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

I read that tire pressure goes up~1 psi per ten degrees F increase iin outdoor temperature. Checking in cold mornings vs. warmer afternoons pretty much bears this out.

Further, I live about a mile from my preferred air pump. I take the interstate to get there (I live right by an exit). I've found that the tires will gain a pound or two just from that short drive at 50-55 mph or so.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
I am running 55 psi in tires that are rated at 36. I have been running them for about 8 months, without any particular problems. The only problems I have encountered is they ride rougher and they wear down the middle more than the sides.
What kind of tires are you running? Interesting. You're the only one I heard mention that the centers are wearing more than the rest.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
Registered Member

I run 55 psi...the side wall limit is 44 for my tires...I have a 2,200 lbs Yaris, a light car, that I never drive fast with, so I don't worry about blow outs or anything like that.

After 4,300 miles no issues, and they are wearing like normal.
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
What kind of tires are you running? Interesting. You're the only one I heard mention that the centers are wearing more than the rest.
Nah. Old story. Way way back when I was a young driver there were pics showing various kinds of bad tire wear (including alignment problems etc). Overinflation = more wear in the middle. Underinflation = more wear on the outside.

What they didn't tell you then was that more air pressure = higher FE.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
Registered Member

I run 50 psi in my tires rates for 44. No problems at all. The Accord and Civic both handel better and road noise is lower. They do ride firmer.

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote