90 crx hf how can i increase gas mileage? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
Registered Member

If your car has a lightened flywheel that will cause low rpm bogging.. Heavy flywheels tend to produce a more even and usable low end torque.

If you do have such a beast, it wouldn't be hard to trade your custom parts for the stockers and probably make some money to boot.

If your car revs very quickly when throttled up in neutral you might have a lightened flywheel.

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Registered Member

I have seen flywheels lightened to the point where the gears in the tranny were rattling in neutral.

You should be able to engage the clutch at 1000 RPM. The performance clutch should not really affect your mileage as long as you drive economically. If the pedal pressure is objectionalbe you might want to replace it.

regards
gary

Old 06-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
I have seen flywheels lightened to the point where the gears in the tranny were rattling in neutral.

You should be able to engage the clutch at 1000 RPM. The performance clutch should not really affect your mileage as long as you drive economically. If the pedal pressure is objectionalbe you might want to replace it.

regards
gary

I think I have that happening in my sedan. I have a clatter that I can't isolate while idling in neutral. Sounds like its coming from the tranny. I have a 9 lb CrMo flywheel in it.

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #14

If the prior owner swapped in a tranny from another model (Which would give better performance) swapping it back will give you better FE. Geared far taller.
Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #15
Registered Member

Smile

Okay thanks everyone for the help. I will check out everything you guys said. Ill post again with an up date thanks again

tyler
tbrown4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
The high flow exhaust will totally kill your low end torque, your car should have plenty of power at 1,500 to 2,000 rpm, if you study fluid dynamic, air intake and exhaust design you will see that a smaller around exhaust and smaller intake help with low rpm power and efficiency, the HF exhaust is smaller then the exhaust on all of the rest of the CRX's for a reason.
When I went back to the stock exhaust on my crx hf I saw almost a 4mpg increase, when I fixed my air intake on my civic vx I saw a 2mpg increase and in both cases it made the car easier to drive.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown4 View Post
I just bought a 90 crx hf with 144000 miles on it. still has orig. engine (d15b6) and tranny. the only mods on it is a stage 3 racing clutch dc headers and a flow master exhaust with a 4 inch tip. I would like to make it stock again what do you guys think i should do? thanks

tyler
lol why would anyone put a stage 3 clutch on an HF engine. you might have a problem finding stock equipment, i hardly ever see crx's at the junk yard much less an HF.
white90crxhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 AM   #18
Registered Member

Yeah I dont know why anyone would put a stage 3 in unless they planned on a swap or something. I do plan on trying to find a stock 1 or find a oem replacement. I also planned on replacing the exhaust 2 thanks again

tyler
tbrown4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
intake issue

I think what probably happened with your intake hose (since you mentioned being able to pull it right off of the throttle body since it doesn't fit tightly) is that it more than likely came off of an Si model. These have the same air cleaner box, but the hose that runs from the box up to the throttle body is much wider on the Si model...which would cause it to fit very loosely on an HF throttle body.