94 mpg! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #11

Uk mpg

MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #12
Registered Member

Yes sorry, UK MPG, so take away around 17% for the US equivelent (about the only thing in the UK that's bigger than in the US!)

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #13

Yeah, so about 75-80 MPG in the US. Still, that's pretty good!
DTMAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #14

I think that it's some sort of conspiracy. I've often wondered why more diesels aren't available in the USA when they are plentiful everywhere else in the world. Someone must be paying off someone. I would love to have a car that averages 75 miles per US gallon. The US diesels aren't as economic as the Euro's. The only new import ones I see around here in California are the VW's. I would love for Toyota to import some of their diesels here too. Thanks for the info.
lmcc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #15
BDC
Registered Member

What has been curiously omitted is that why one would ever choose to buy a 73hp car when the 138hp version costs no more, unless you were financially prohibited from doing so.

Lots of internet speculation on why we can't get 70mpg subcompacts here in America, but usually it takes a test drive in a car that is so slow as to be dangerous to merge onto the highway to convince someone why it's not sold in America. Autocar found that this diesel Kia took 15 seconds to get from 0-60. That's almost five full seconds slower than any car you can buy in America (save the Smart car) and a full six seconds slower than the gas 1.6l version. Even a Prius will do 0-60 in under 10 seconds.

Further, the Smart car and the nuova 500 both got significantly better mileage ratings (adjusted for MPG-US) from the Euro cycle than from the EPA. What's to say this would live up to the 75mpg-us Euro rating in the EPA's test cycle?
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #16

>but usually it takes a test drive in a car that is so slow as to be dangerous

Ridiculous
MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
Registered Member

I can honestly say that my 1980 Diesel VW Dasher wagon was at least 15 seconds 0-60 and probably closer to 20 seconds. I knew it and drove it in a manner that didn't expose me to unnecessary danger while merging. I absolutely conceed that there is an acceleration issue that could potentially be hazardous to an inattentive or inexperienced driver, but I propose that it is probably safer than driving an exotic that can light up the rear end in a burn out on an onramp and put a driver into a retaining wall or K-Rail and that doesn't seem to be a major safety concern.

As for buying lower horsepower for the same money, when the life expectancy of the engine with the lower horsepower is significantly longer then that would be a factor to me. I've seen boats repower with higher horsepower at significant costs due to new transmissions and propeller shafts only to continue to cruise at similar speeds to the previous engines in an effort to keep fuel costs down and often at added maintenance expense for the new engines due to excessive coking due to not running the engines hard enough on a regular basis to clear out the carbon.

I'll take the longer life expectancy and reduced maintenance costs for my commute vehicle over added horsepower. I also like the idea of having a lower horsepower slower accelerating vehicle for my kids to drive. It takes away the impluse to race when you're driving the slowest car on the block, I know this from personal experience.
bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:17 AM   #18
Registered Member

One of my cars has 26 BHP and cruises nicely at 70 MPH. It's not all about speed. It's not dangerous, in the UK only 135 people are killed on the British Motorways, compared to 30,000+ in the US!?!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #19

It seems little diesel engines are not allowed in the US :/ The only good diesel we can get is a Cummins; designed to pull a house off it's foundation... My dad drove a 1983 turbo diesel Mitsubishi pickup for years, averaging 38mpg.

Can we please get some diesels in our light trucks and cars? Obviously the manufacturers know that most US drivers think like BDC. How is a slow car dangerous? ridiculous. How fast does a school bus accelerate when merging?

Why waste all the natural resources producing dual drive train prius when you could be doing better with a little diesel?
squashroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #20

How come I can't see my vehicules in browse vehicules? I`ve done 2 fuel up already and I don't see it anywhere except in my garage.

Zukitoy is offline   Reply With Quote