A Beater of an Insight - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Talking A Beater of an Insight

So in effort to reform my gas guzzling habits, today I picked up a 2000 Insight 5 spd for dirt cheap. It was a former police impound that got auction off'ed. 203k on the clock, one busted driver's side quarter panel window and a small dent on the passengers side over the rear wheel cover. The yard claims that the battery pack might be dead but considering their general ignorance on the pack, overall fear of the car electrocuting them, and the the chopped up remains of another Insights in the yard I'm wondering if there could be some life in the pack.

The car started fine on its 12 volt, idles normally, clutch action was smooth but engaged close to the floor. Throw felt odd, 1-3 were tight, 4th a bit long and 5th longer still. Gates 1-4 felt fine, but 5th seemed to feel a bit stiff. It moved under its own power. Don't really recall what the batterys SOC read but there were no flashing lights. Made no strange noises, very slight ticking while it was warming up, but it had been sitting for a month so I figured that was dry lifter noise. No clue whether or not it has had the battery warranty work done on it or not, forgot to check the VIN plate for the punch mark

With that kind of mileage what can I expect to starting failing on me?

Thanks

Old 12-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

Congratulations!

In for some pics.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Cool, everytime I see an Insight, I want to trade my CRX off. Can we ask what it ran you? Don't know if it is a hydraulic clutch, but if so, the shifting issues you are noticing could be that the clutch fluid is low/needs bleeding. If it doesn't disengage all the way, it will cause the shifting problems you have.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

I got it for about 2k. I think its a hydraulic clutch, I'll be going over everything next week. Pics will follow as soon as I can find my camera.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
not terrible for that new of a car. the battery's almost certainly buggered with 203k on it. bleed the clutch and if it doesn't fix it, replace the slave and if still not better, the master cylinder (in order of expense). I wouldn't worry about the shifting problem till you get the clutch figured out. if you are still having problems, find out whether it's cable or rod operated shifter. if it's cable, adjust/replace the cables. if it's rod, check the bushings.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
Driving on E

honda stopped with cable clutches in 92. It's a hydro. You can take it to Honda and pay $75 to have it diagnosed. Your battery might be fine.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Did it come with HOV exemption stickers?

Hrmm... Is a two seater HOV exempt all the time anyway? I mean, motor cycles are because they are at 50% or 100% capacity all the time. A 2 seater is always at least 50% Depending where you drive in the Bay Area - it's nice to not pay through the HOV

And congrats on your find... I imagine if the batteries were buggered, you'd be getting some form of idiot light... Probably not like new though

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Did it come with HOV exemption stickers?

Hrmm... Is a two seater HOV exempt all the time anyway? I mean, motor cycles are because they are at 50% or 100% capacity all the time. A 2 seater is always at least 50% Depending where you drive in the Bay Area - it's nice to not pay through the HOV

And congrats on your find... I imagine if the batteries were buggered, you'd be getting some form of idiot light... Probably not like new though
I wish Doubt I could apply for em. But since it is a two seater who knows? HOV stickers would be icing on a cake.

I need to run it some more to make sure no idiot lights flare up. It needed a jump to start so I don't think the 12 volt had enough power to keep any DTC in memory. If they are any they will crop up after some usage.

Even if the batteries are fubar'ed 1L 3 banger shouldn't be too shabby in the FE department. 10x better than the Heep.

As for the shifter, I'm used to the Heep's stick; mile long throws with a direct hook up to the tranny along a heavy long throw clutch. The Insight is the first 5 speed FWD car I've owned so I could be misinterpreting its "feel". Its possible that its perfectly normal

Matt,
75 bucks covers a full inspection?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:17 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Made no strange noises, very slight ticking while it was warming up, but it had been sitting for a month so I figured that was dry lifter noise.
Honda doesn't use hydraulic lifters. In fact, if you are not used to Japanese cars, you might be surprised to know that, for the most part, valve lash is adjusted manually (typically every 30000 miles). With this said, the engine might need a valve adjustment.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:49 AM   #10
Registered Member

If the batteries are shot, it'd be interesting to see what kind of mileage an insight can get w/o battery assist, but also without the weight of the battery pack.

Think inside the Box!
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote