Air Dam - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2005, 07:26 PM   #11
*shrug*

I could get some turbo half

I could get some turbo half size radiator, but that's money, and blocking a third isn't really eliminating a third, prolly couldn't fine tune a new radiator as much, if I get around to dropping the 7 bucks for a 192 thermostat I shall.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #12
*shrug*

I'm prolly blocking about

I'm prolly blocking about 60% of my radiator now, and the car's temperature dropped!! What the hell, I think, but I'll let it go for a tank and see what happens.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #13
Registered Member

I didn't get any change in

I didn't get any change in mileage. I'm covering about half the radiator.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #14
Driving on E

I think that the air dam is

I think that the air dam is effective on Honda Insights more than our cars. The temperature changed caused by the air damn actually forces the car into "lean burn" mode more than normal, which saves a ton of gas. The electric engine is utilized more and the gas is used less.

I think that if we want to get better (higher) temperatures in our cars we might want to just install a 195 degree thermostat.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:12 AM   #15
FE nut

Quote:I think that if we

[quote]I think that if we want to get better (higher) temperatures in our cars we might want to just install a 195 degree thermostat.

That's what I ended up doing with my Saturn.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:40 AM   #16
Registered Member

I already have a 195 degree

I already have a 195 degree thermostat. I have done everything to my car except take it out back and shoot it.

My tank only lasts me for 2 weeks, sometimes even a week. I don't even make that much.

I have changed to different intakes, I experimented with different tire pressures, I put nitrous in it, I put synthetic in it, I changed to a different radiator cap, I put a grounding kit in it, and soon I will put hydrogen in there too.

There is always something new with the car. It's either oil change, or tire rotation, or fuel it up, or something broke. Thank god I don't have a girlfriend.

This car is frustrating me, when I didn't have a car I was frustrated I didn't have a car. Now I'm frustrated because I spend $200-250 on my car a month. I don't even enjoy it as much as my neighbor when he parks next to me and scratches, dings or dents my car.

Sorry for the vent.

I'm under a lot of stress now. I got tests all the time now, and my jobs are killing me and some girl hit my car.

Old 11-11-2005, 04:49 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:I think that the air

Quote:
I think that the air dam is effective on Honda Insights more than our cars. The temperature changed caused by the air damn actually forces the car into "lean burn" mode more than normal
This is what I also got out of that thread...not worth the hassle and risk if you're car can't get into a lean burn mode.

I live in Texas. Its been in the mid to high 80s this week and even hit 108 well into Sept this year. Summer temps can run over 100 for weeks at a time....the whole idea of blocking your radiator(or going without AC) just seems nuts.

GasSavers_davens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:23 AM   #18
*shrug*

I'm planning on getting

I'm planning on getting another thermostat, but I dun see how it would make it hit lean burn, it's totally rpm dependent except for some correction factors that don't really have much to do with the vtec crossover point.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:26 AM   #19
Driving on E

Dude, sounds like you're at

Dude, sounds like you're at your last rope with this car. What's sad is that you're already like 7-8mpg above the EPA estimates which themselves are difficult to obtain.

For a little humor, check out this article on reducing the weight of a 2001 Nissan Sentra SE.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #20
Registered Member

Re: Dude, sounds like you're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Dude, sounds like you're at your last rope with this car. What's sad is that you're already like 7-8mpg above the EPA estimates which themselves are difficult to obtain.

For a little humor, check out this article on reducing the weight of a 2001 Nissan Sentra SE.
I only beat the EPA by 2mpg. Because I don't drive 100% freeway. I've seen that sentra article so many times. It's funny. What's sad is after they were done they only got 14.4

I can get that 14.4 with some nitrous, i/h/e and slicks. I already got a 15.7 with just nitrous and intake.

The problem with the car is it's just too heavy. I don't want to remove my seats or anything I use. So far I only removed my spare and jack.