Am I the only one not hitting the mark - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #21
Registered Member

4 miles? I'm guessing that's through the city.

How about human powered transportation? At least a couple of times a week. Even once a week.

What to you do? If you are in sales or have to wear a suit and can't go in all sweaty, or you work in Canadian tundra, feel free to ignore my suggestion.

But most of us (I'm the worst) could use a bit more exercise. I would give anything to have a 4 mile commute.

What helped me a bit was take out extra stuff that I'm not using. I don't need that guitar amp or my golf clubs to be in the back all the time. I'm also looking at taking off the luggage rack, which I've never used but has proven to be more tricky than I initially expected. Also, I'm looking at taking off the tow package. I have used that 2x in 3 years. Taking off the luggage rack will reduce drag, and taking off the hitch will reduce with weight about 30 lbs.

For me, it's lots of little changes.

Of course, the best thing that I did was slow down.

ma4t

Old 06-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #22
Supporting Member

dude i would just ride a bike!! and drive when its really bad out

Old 06-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #23
*shrug*

As he's said, there is a dangerous bridge on his route...I wouldn't want to cross one of the bridges around here on a bike either!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Is that an estrogen thing or what? Everything is an on/off switch- gas and brake, heat and a/c, radio volume, the thermostat, etc.
Ugh, the TV volume. Blasting or muted. :-p
Old 06-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #25
Registered Member

remove the 2nd and 3rd row seats for less weight. I'm not sure if that would help a bunch in the short ride. every 100lbs is 1mpg I think. and .1 faster in the 1/4 mile dragrace
ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #26
Stay true to the Game!

I'm really considering just saying screw it and riding a bike regardless of the signs. Ohh by the way I'm in the Air Force. If anyone wants to review my route on google maps the beginning address is 10480 Auto Mall Parkway
Biloxi, MS 39532 to Keesler Air Force Base, MS. If you look on the map what's killing me is crossing I-110.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #27
Registered Member

Hmmm. Looks like there's no public transit across 110 either, right?

Can't tell where the base gates are.
It looks like the parkway and 110 ought to be fairly easy. Can you enter on the east and park just within the perimeter say on F street for security and avoid all the small streets on the base? Google maps tells me that's only about 2.8 miles. That saves 30% on miles and I suspect crossing the base is 25mph and full of stop signs. (?)
savoF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #28
Registered Member

Or even park just outside the gate if there's a visitor lot. Saves on idling at the gatehouse. Hope things are pretty reasonable now, but I remember creeping along for 1/4 mile entering Wright Patterson for 100% ID checks after 9/11.
savoF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Speaking of on/off mechanisms, I did try to explain to her that ovens only have one speed, on or off, and going past the desired temp setting does not warm it up any faster.
Yeah, on really hot days when our A/C doesn't quite keep up, we still have to lower the set point a few degrees to "make it cooler" in the house. :-)
Old 06-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #30
Registered Member

Four miles? Bike the trip. It isn't that far, and you are allowed to bike in traffic. It's actually safer to bike in a lane than on the sidewalk or on the bike lane in my opinion. Turning cars who don't like to look for pedestrians or bikers tend to see you a little better when you're holding up traffic.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote