Am I understanding this about charging car batteries correctly? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #31
Site Team / Moderator

Re: Am I understanding this about charging car batteries correctly?

If you posted a pic of your fuse block with all the stuff plugged in I could tell you.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #32
Registered Member

If you put as much effort into simply remembering to shut them off, it wouldn't be an issue. Kinda reminds me of a time way back in school, when once I contemplated cheating on a "hard" test by making some micronotes to refer to during the test. In the process of making those notes I discovered that I'd learned the material anyway.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
If you put as much effort into simply remembering to shut them off, it wouldn't be an issue. Kinda reminds me of a time way back in school, when once I contemplated cheating on a "hard" test by making some micronotes to refer to during the test. In the process of making those notes I discovered that I'd learned the material anyway.
Did the same thing several times, except the teacher allowed us to write all of this stuff on a single note card on both sides but as you said, the act of writing down all of that stuff helped me learn the information for the test, kinda sorta negating the benefit of having that "cheat sheet"..
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #34
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I do. Ever since that one time that I somehow failed to remember, I decided to hang a small flashlight on the headlight knob. When I turn the headlights on, I move the flashlight to the door handle. If I forget, I see the flashlight or it falls off the door handle when I open the door; then I remember. Also, it's quite convenient to have a small flashlight around and that's a nice way to store it.

A buzzer would still be nice. A little luxury won't hurt me. I've put plenty of other efforts into this car, what's a few minutes of wiring going to hurt? Unlike simply remembering to turn the lights off, I will learn something by fixing or installing the buzzer.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #35
Site Team / Moderator

I certainly learned a lot when I removed the key in/seat belt buzzer on Rusty (86 Chevy C-10) and replaced it with a chime unit from a 1980 Buick Century. After examining how it was wired up in the Century, and how the chime was wired in my 81 Regal I was able to retrofit the chime unit into my 86 Chevy pickup with ease. Now, I am willing to share this information I have learned with others.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #36
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
If you posted a pic of your fuse block with all the stuff plugged in I could tell you.
Any guess what the orange plug with the white wire is? It was unplugged until recently when I finally found the keyed slot where it fits. I haven't noticed any difference.

https://picasaweb.google.com/fistula...57956937718402
Old 06-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #37
Site Team / Moderator

I don't know what the orange plug is, do you have a better shot of the grey box on the left edge of the photo? If that box has a grey wire coming out of the side then its a chime unit with headlight reminder.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #38
Registered Member

I have a better picture. I think there is no wire.

https://picasaweb.google.com/fistula...03876189461442
Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Any guess what the orange plug with the white wire is?
Looks like something aftermarket. Alarm? Remote start? Amp? Solar battery recharger?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #40
Registered Member

There's no aftermarket anything in the car that I did not install. That connector is keyed, I doubt anything aftermarket could come with one like it. Finally, it's wrapped up in the OEM harness like the rest of the OEM wires.

Factory service manual, Alldata, Mitchell, Haynes, and Chilton all failed to help me figure it out.