Amsoil 25000 mile oil - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Okay, so I just did an oil change today and put in Mobil synthetic rated at 1 15,000 miles before changing or 1 year under normal conditions. I have an old high mileage Civic VX 1.5 liter engine (3.5 quarts oil) and I am wondering how many miles can I go before changing it? I was thinking 10,000. Sub freezing nights will be starting in about two weeks. So about 1/2 of this oil change will be driven in winter conditions. I drive about 3000 miles every two months. Which means I shouldn't need to change it again until May, but maybe I should do it sooner if I have a high mileage engine?
I'd change it when it gets dark and smelly(highly scientific I know). I would think a change around 8-10k would be nice and safe. If the PO was running a cheap dino in there, the added detergents in the mobil will clean it out causing it to dirty up early. I accidentally ran my mobil for 9k and it got very dark. On the flipside it only burned about 1/2-3/4 quart. I think you'll end up changing around 8k.

My biggest beef with mobil1 is its a "big oil" product thanks for the education you gassavers). I called a local guy went to his house and bought the amsoil. He had everything I needed and twice as much selection in weights and lubes as any parts house near me. He'd been selling since 1979.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Okay, so I just did an oil change today and put in Mobil synthetic rated at 1 15,000 miles before changing or 1 year under normal conditions. I have an old high mileage Civic VX 1.5 liter engine (3.5 quarts oil) and I am wondering how many miles can I go before changing it? I was thinking 10,000. Sub freezing nights will be starting in about two weeks. So about 1/2 of this oil change will be driven in winter conditions. I drive about 3000 miles every two months. Which means I shouldn't need to change it again until May, but maybe I should do it sooner if I have a high mileage engine?
Get a lab to do an Oil Analysis.... Anything else is just speculation -- and while fun, it's still speculation Blackstone labs will send you a kit (which is really just a screw top bottle) for free - just send it back with $25 and they'll send you a report

I do ~10K miles changes on dino... Not because someone or some bottle said I could, but because after those 10K miles, the oil still had some alkalinity (last change had a TBN of ~4), metals were normal (except copper 14ppm - which is expected due to upside down piston rings) etc. etc.

BUT, the best sample will be from hot oil as your drain it (unless you get the cool vacuum tube thinger that goes down the dipstick hole).

I use this lab

After saying all that -- keeping the oil topped off (if you burn an appreciable amount) will significantly extend any oil's service life

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Registered Member

I use Amsoil and have run Oil Samples. The economic way to do it is pick an oil (say Series 2000 0W-30) and an Amsoil Filter (if they have one that fits your application. Do 5,000 miles and take an oil sample...take the sample after a quart has drained out of a warmed up engine. Then you can pour oil back in and top it off...send the sample and wait for the results. When the results come back and you have good results...you can decide how far you want to go...maybe (depending on UOA results) go another 4,000 and send in a sample. The point is to see how long your oil holds up. If you can get 15,000 miles with good results and then it starts to get marginal...you can stop testing. Now you know pretty much that you are good to 15,000 miles.

I run the Amsoil 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine. Jeep calls for full synthetic and a 40W. Since I have the Jeep Liberty Diesel, I stick with this oil for the "soot control" and high "TBN" (Total Base Number to control acidity).
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:20 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_BMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
I'd change it when it gets dark and smelly(highly scientific I know). I would think a change around 8-10k would be nice and safe.
I just smelled mine after 10,000 and it needs changing. I be doing that this weekend. It's the High Performance Amsoil rated for 25,000.
MSD 6TN,
MSD Blaster2 Coil,
MSD 8.5mm SuperConductor wires,
Borg-Warner cap & button
Halo plugs,
PCV jar
and more to come...
GasSavers_BMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
The mobil 1 I am using is of course detergent oil. Here is something I read from an oil faq dispelling myths about oil change intervals type website:

Detergent Oil
"Virtually all modern multi-weight oils are detergent oils. Detergent oil cleans the soot of the internal engine parts and suspends the soot particles in the oil. The particles are too small to be trapped by the oil filter and stay in the oil until you change it. These particles are what makes the oil turn darker. These tiny particles do not harm your engine. When the oil becomes saturated with soot particles and is unable to suspend any more, the particles remain on the engine parts. Fortunately, with the current oil change intervals the oil is changed long before the oil is saturated."

I assume Mobil 1 is aware of this fact and that's why it can guarantee 15,000 miles. I'm happy to change it at 10,000 since I have a high mileage engine. If Mobil can guarantee 15,000 miles, how many more miles is it probably safe to go? Most guarantees are well before the limit of what the manufacture expects teh point of failure to occur at. For example, a VX timing belt is recommended for 90,000 miles but will probably go for 150,000 miles before breaking in most cases. Anyway, appreciate the feedback. Maybe I'll do an analysis.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #16
Registered Member

Soot particles do no damage! Can't believe they printed that. Soot particles (if not kept properly suspended) are the culprits for top end damage to engines. They cause havoc on the aluminum heads ect. With ULSD and a good oil, you can keep this wear to a minimum. Soot and Acidity are the two main problems with Diesel Engines.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #17
Stay true to the Game!

Has anyone looked at the ACEA ratings? If it's ACEA 5 then it's recommended for extended drains in Europe. I think most of the 5W-30's synthetics are ACEA 5. My Amsoil 0W-20 is ACEA 1.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 AM   #18
Registered Member

I get my oil tested by blackstones lab, they let you know how much life your oil has/had left. Is that who you were talking about?

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #19
Registered Member

Do you guys get your oil lab tested every time? And if so, wouldn't it be a LOT cheaper to just change the oil? I mean, we're trying to save money, right? And the lab fee is more then $20, right?
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #20
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGaser View Post
Do you guys get your oil lab tested every time? And if so, wouldn't it be a LOT cheaper to just change the oil? I mean, we're trying to save money, right? And the lab fee is more then $20, right?

Nope! I'm going to run this oil until april-may of next year. Then smell it. If it looks great, which I doubt it will, I'll leave it in. If not I'll swap it and the trans fluid at the same time.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote