An Ideal Cruise Control - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

An Ideal Cruise Control

A "Load" based cruise control for economy.

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/misc/load.jsp

Old 11-02-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean View Post
A "Load" based cruise control for economy.

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/misc/load.jsp
Wouldn't that make a cool option to use when the normal cruise control is engaged on a car with an automatic??

Imagine setting "Ultra Economy" for when you are really out on the freeway and can let your car slow signifcantly w/o getting killed by other drivers when approaching small grades to keep the engine in its efficient band??

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....uise#post65028

(Man, this new avatar of mine is painful even for me, I'll have to change it tonight

)
Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....uise#post65028

(Man, this new avatar of mine is painful even for me, I'll have to change it tonight)
scanned the thread....anyone implement it yet except as a monitor?

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

Old 11-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

Nope, just saying "that would be cool" too. It's a good head start on a working model though if anyone wants to do more than say "that would be cool"
Old 11-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

I've developed one...

Kinda.

It's a throttle-limited setup, which uses load on hills quite well. The design simply blocks the throttle that the cruise-control unit pulls.

The CC pulls the throttle cable similar to the foot pedal. I blocked the action of the rotating cam that pulls the cable -- basically governing the maximum throttle position. The TPS setting is around 20% maximum via CC.

Using it: set the cruise for 60 mph, for example. The car will generally hold the speed until the load overrides the throttle, then you scrub off speed and load it up. It works well if you're exhausted and have a long highway drive ahead. Then, the unintentional Psychology of not holding speed on hills is left up to the device and not your foot.

RH77
Old 11-04-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
I've developed one...

Kinda.

It's a throttle-limited setup, which uses load on hills quite well. The design simply blocks the throttle that the cruise-control unit pulls.

The CC pulls the throttle cable similar to the foot pedal. I blocked the action of the rotating cam that pulls the cable -- basically governing the maximum throttle position. The TPS setting is around 20% maximum via CC.

Using it: set the cruise for 60 mph, for example. The car will generally hold the speed until the load overrides the throttle, then you scrub off speed and load it up. It works well if you're exhausted and have a long highway drive ahead. Then, the unintentional Psychology of not holding speed on hills is left up to the device and not your foot.

RH77
How has it worked for you?