Another Way of Looking At It... - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2007, 06:54 AM   #41
Registered Member

Well, it depends. I know there are quite a few utilities that offer time of day rates of 50cents/9kwh=~5cents/kwh. It depends on use... Electricity in bulk is way cheap. It only becomes expensive when the grid needs to pump out an extra 20-40% above and beyond what it usually makes 99% of the time. Those power plants that only get used a couple times a year are incredibly expensive. The stuff made when the grid is nearly idle during the early morning is incredibly cheap. Larger companies will sign up for time of day rates and invest in some sort of storage or work around that schedule just because they're a half to a third of everyday rates. It's kinda like buying enough gas to last until December in March, except the difference in price is way more.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #42
Team OPEC Busters!

Yup, I pay 5.5 cents per kw between 7pm and 9am. During the day, between 9am and 7pm I pay 22 cents a kw. So my small solar setup really offsets my daytime or on peak usage. I did have another option for three rates as well. The way off peak time wasn't enough of an advantage to me to go with the extreme times.

I do pay an additional $4 a month to be on "Time of Use" rates, but I often save about $30-$60 a month. I have things like shutting off our chest freezer 5 hours before off peak starts, our fridge 2 hours before off peak starts; only make ice on the weekends (all off peak), only run the electric dryer off peak ect…

GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #43
Registered Member

Wow, pretty cool. Down here, we could run the AC all night and then turn it off in the morning. :-)
Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #44
Team OPEC Busters!

Yup, we do that as well. I set it for 74F at 7p and at 3a it drops to 72F, then after 9a it is set to 80F and only runs when it really really hot out. My wife doesn't like the temperature swings, but she likes the untility bill
GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
My wife doesn't like the temperature swings, but she likes the untility bill
Totally...
Old 11-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludgy View Post
Well, DUH! Why didn't I think of that? Maybe perpetual motion generators in each car would power the batteries.

Not to be TOO sacastic, but of course the electric power needs to come from somewhere. Society gets to choose which source. The only reasonable non carbon source is nuclear. Are you pro-nuclear?
So we need find an old Delorean, and build a flux capacitor??? But wait, we dont need 1.21 giga-watts of electricity, well not all at once anyways.

http://www.davetheguitarplayer.com/delorean.jpg

JK of course
Old 11-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #47
Registered Member

Almost every car in Iceland runs on Hydrogen...It is easier to implement in a country like Iceland because of the size and lack of Oil Resources. The only things for the most part that use petrol (diesel) are the fishing boats.

Anything is possible, but to just ignore a resource (read waste) and count on a better replacement out of neccessity is not an intelligent way to solve the crisis.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #48
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
MorningGaser -just start electrifying people's roofs
CarloSW2
I think you've just hit it.
What I think that we need more than anything is a massive "New Deal" scale program to decentralize and green the nations power grid. As the large-scale blackouts, brownouts and rolling blackouts of the nations grids in the last few years have shown, centralized power generation has it's downsides. One key plant or transformer station goes out under a peak load, there is the potential to take down the entire grid.

I seem to recall a program under President Clinton that aimed to put solar panels on the roofs of a million homes. Of course, that program got the axe under the current administration. Go figure. The Initial investment cost would be large, but the long-term payoff could be enormous. Just think, the peak power production occurs simultaneously with peak power demand. Fill in the "gaps" in production with a huge wind power program on the coasts and in the great plains, and you have a significantly reduced (even periodically eliminated) load on our current fossil-fueled power plants.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 AM   #49
Registered Member

i don't think you guys fully understand oil wells and drilling for oil. we will never truly run "out" of oil. sure, one day in the future we may run out of gas and diesel, but there will probably always be enough oil to produce oil based goods and services. even now, oil wells that were believed to be dry, are being re-used to pump more oil all over again. so when the oil supply for transportation runs out and people start freaking, there will still be enough to make you're tv's and microwave ovens.
csrmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:20 AM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrmel View Post
even now, oil wells that were believed to be dry, are being re-used to pump more oil all over again.
It isn't like the oil faires refilled the well. More likely that they sucked the oil out faster than the topology could support and oil seeped back in over time. Nothing to be interpreted as an endless supply as the returns will likely be diminished.