Anyone here have a Integra GSR? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three6Eight View Post
I'm looking to spend less then $7000 . I was thinking about getting a SVT Contour but I dont want another 4 door so I'm looking for a 2 door GSR
Or, buy a lower trim Integra and do a swap. Not only would this likely be cheaper. But it would have the additional benefit of being lighter than a GSR. This would improve both mileage AND performance. It would also make the car less attractive to thieves. Of course, it wouldn't have all the bells and whistles of a GSR. But let's face it. Most of that stuff is really pretty worthless anyway.

Another possibility is a Type-R swap. Type-R changeovers only cost about $1000 more than GSR changeovers from most engine importers. So the way I see it, if you have to pay average market price for a GSR swap, go Type-R instead. On the other hand, you are MUCH more likely to find a GSR motor sold for significantly less than market price than a Type-R. I myself picked up a GSR longblock once for $1000. If you can get a GSR motor THIS cheap, then a build would most definitely be worthwhile.

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Your comment of Type R vs a C5 made me laugh. But I wont be rude or appear to be a ricer... so I will hold my tongue.

*cough (Type R's spank the C5 (one of the worst sports cars ever))** cough cough

Oh how I miss the Real Time Integras and NSX's on the Speed Channel.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
I sure hope the GSR can pull off more then 15 mpg around town
Considering when I drive my GSR I'm usually beating on it to make up for driving a CRX HF most of the time, and now the GSR is mainly driven in the city and I'm getting around 25mpg with it, you shouldn't have any problems getting better mileage then your Regal with one.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Your comment of Type R vs a C5 made me laugh. But I wont be rude or appear to be a ricer... so I will hold my tongue.

*cough (Type R's spank the C5 (one of the worst sports cars ever))** cough cough

Oh how I miss the Real Time Integras and NSX's on the Speed Channel.
I didn't know 15 seconds in the quarter is faster then 13 in the quarter

You must be talking about the track huh?

I actually enjoy straight line acceleration more then the twisties. Twisties are fun and thats why Im considering a GSR right now. My friend has a Miata and we went autocrossing in it and it was fun. Wouldnt get a Miata though and I heard GSR's are good handlers for what they are. Like I said earlier I want a car thats fun and does pretty good on gas.

Anyway if you dont like the C5 great but Its my dream car and If I had 15-20G no doubt I would buy one over a type R. I dont care how much of a wet dream a type R is to the ricers Its not worth 15-20g's to me like a C5 isnt worth it to you

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
Or, buy a lower trim Integra and do a swap. Not only would this likely be cheaper. But it would have the additional benefit of being lighter than a GSR. This would improve both mileage AND performance. It would also make the car less attractive to thieves. Of course, it wouldn't have all the bells and whistles of a GSR. But let's face it. Most of that stuff is really pretty worthless anyway.

Another possibility is a Type-R swap. Type-R changeovers only cost about $1000 more than GSR changeovers from most engine importers. So the way I see it, if you have to pay average market price for a GSR swap, go Type-R instead. On the other hand, you are MUCH more likely to find a GSR motor sold for significantly less than market price than a Type-R. I myself picked up a GSR longblock once for $1000. If you can get a GSR motor THIS cheap, then a build would most definitely be worthwhile.
One day I'll have the time for that but I work 60 hours a week.

Just installing an intercooler in my Regal has Taken 2 months chipping away at it when I happen to have a day off, so a Engine swap would probably take me 5 years and gas in the entire world will probably be used up by then

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Old 05-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
Registered Member

I had a GSR swapped CX hatch, and could get 37mpg freeway. No matter how I drove it , revving the **** out of it, racing etc, I would average 28-32.

B16 swaps could get similar mileage, but the 5th gear puts you at a higher rpm on the freeway. Also there are soooooo many poorly running swapped civics it's unfair to judge mileage based on one of them.

Integras are nice, the car will get 30+ if you keep your foot out of it. That same engine in a civic will obviously get better mileage tho, and haul ***.
thehatchninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
I didn't know 15 seconds in the quarter is faster then 13 in the quarter
ITR's are in the 14's....still not worth comparing to a vette tho.
thehatchninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatchninja View Post
ITR's are in the 14's....still not worth comparing to a vette tho.
Yeah your right a Vette in the 16G range VS a ITR in the 16G range is no comparison. The Vette is a icon

Thats why Im thinking GSR I just want to spend 7Gs or less. If I wanted to spend 16G why think of a ITR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatchninja View Post
I had a GSR swapped CX hatch, and could get 37mpg freeway. No matter how I drove it , revving the **** out of it, racing etc, I would average 28-32..
Thats what I wanted to hear. A car you can have some fun with and still get good economy =) Excellent

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
If you are gonna waste $2000 on a honda engine, why not swap in something with some power like a VW 1.9TDI or a 4g63? a 1.9 in a civic or teg should make for 40-60 mpg, and the 4g63 shouldn't be much different than the TypeR, with more power. Remember, VTEC is like waiting for bad sex.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
If you are gonna waste $2000 on a honda engine, why not swap in something with some power like a VW 1.9TDI or a 4g63? a 1.9 in a civic or teg should make for 40-60 mpg, and the 4g63 shouldn't be much different than the TypeR, with more power. Remember, VTEC is like waiting for bad sex.
Is it ok to have bad sex if you have great instantaneous sex readily available?

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette