anyone try sidegapping sparkplugs? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #1

anyone try sidegapping sparkplugs?

just wondering if anyone has had any results with it. i just did mine so i can give it a whirl. ive done it to ohter cars but never really charted the performance to well. Its been recommended to shorten the gap by .010 but thats mostly for race cars so i figured id increase it. currently im at .042 on all plugs up from .035 on the regular ones. im gonna drive it for abit to see if i get any changes then maybe play with the gap some more. so far it seems to make no difference driving wise but i havent filled it up yet and wont for several days.

kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:32 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Re: anyone try sidegapping sparkplugs?

doesn't seem like it'd be much improvement in a FE drive style IE low rpm, low throttle. the benefit is from having the sharp corner of the ground pointing toward the sharp edge of the electrode rather than flat faces of each with slight occlusion due to the ground. just on the reasonability scale, I'd up it next to drilling the tiny hole in the ground strap... might improve a few cases but largely not really significant.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

I think you would notice a larger increase in FE by ensuring your engine is grounded.

To do this get an ohm meter and measure the ohms between the negative pole of your battery and the engine block itself. If it is greater than 0.2, your spark could be not as hot as it should be.
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #4

well the .045 didnt really work. mpg is about the same but the car has way less power. Ive adjusted it down to .035 and got my power back but the fuel gauge is reading that im getting lower mpg. ill find out for sure on the next few fill ups.
kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote