Anyone use Royal Purple? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

My saturn daily driver burns a quart of oil every 1,000 mi. This is just like any saturn of the years prior to 2000 (ish) so I'm not worried. This being the case, I used synthetic blend oils (high mileage) and don't give anything else a second thought.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

I used it in a 95 chevy 350 and the truck seemed to drink about a quart each oil change so I discontinued.

GasSavers_tillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:13 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
My saturn daily driver burns a quart of oil every 1,000 mi. This is just like any saturn of the years prior to 2000 (ish) so I'm not worried. This being the case, I used synthetic blend oils (high mileage) and don't give anything else a second thought.
Not EVERY Saturn, I have a 1998 and it currently burns NO oil between changes, which are approx 3-4k miles.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #14
Registered Member

Ok, since we're on an using oil tangent, I'll thread jack a bit. Anyone try Auto-RX to clean out the engine? Might help when using oil. Really thinking about it on my bus with 250k diesel miles.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #15
Registered Member

Motul 8100 E-tech Lite 0W-30 or Motul 8100 E-tech 0W-40

http://www.motul-canada.com/main.htm

Synthetic complex ester based, -60?C / -76?F pour points on both.
Greybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:27 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwoodcock View Post
This oil gave me better cold starting over non synthetic oil. I guess all Synthetics do that though?
that is all i have to offer as far as the oil goes. Oh, and it does not makd noticable deposits
Sure do, I buy my synthetic when it goes on sale BOGO by the cases, that or Walmart sells the 5 quart bottles for around 12.50-$15 some times. I run synthetic in everything but I can't afford $6 a quart see.

Now at $3 a quart I would be a fool not to use it, stock up when you can, at one time I had right about 100 quarts lol, great stuff.

Only thing to remember is don't mix brands between oil changes, use the same brand from one oil change to the next so make sure to get enough. In my case I also always use 10w-30 so there's no confusion there.

As for motor flush, for gasoline engines I use straight kerosene but there's a process involved! If you're not sure, the first time get a can of Motor Flush at Advance it gives you the procedure (and it also costs $8 a quart and I am sure it is 90% or better all Kerosene inside).
Great stuff, but I wouldn't do it unless you have good reason to strongly suspect a serious internal gunk problem.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8307c4 View Post
Sure do, I buy my synthetic when it goes on sale BOGO by the cases, that or Walmart sells the 5 quart bottles for around 12.50-$15 some times. I run synthetic in everything but I can't afford $6 a quart see.
Since about the late 1990's when Castrol by court order was allowed the use of the word 'synthetic' to describe group III refined dino based oils, 'synthetic' really has no meaning and doesn't give any basis for chosing an engine or gear lubricant imo. Go figure what the term 'semi-synthetic' might mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Old 02-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybrick View Post
Since about the late 1990's when Castrol by court order was allowed the use of the word 'synthetic' to describe group III refined dino based oils, 'synthetic' really has no meaning and doesn't give any basis for chosing an engine or gear lubricant imo. Go figure what the term 'semi-synthetic' might mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

this is why my source tells me to use a PAO(maybe POA) based synthetic. they are legit... amsoil and mobile 1 have this base for sure.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
this is why my source tells me to use a PAO(maybe POA) based synthetic. they are legit... amsoil and mobile 1 have this base for sure.
Poly-Alpha-Olefin (PAO) based oils are excellent in that they are stable and don't pick up fuel water by-products either, but because of their lack of polarity they don't carry friction reducing additives well so they need to be mixed with either polarity type ester oils or dino based oils for that function. The end of the day tale is found in VOA /UOA oil analysis comparisions though imo. Check out BITOG for further;

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
Registered Member

Motul USA;

http://www.motorspot.com/index1.html