Autozone has LED bulbs - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to FormulaTwo
Autozone has LED bulbs

Went to my local Autozone today to check things out. Went in for oil actually, may be switching to 0w20 synthetic all around.
Anyways, was walking through and saw that they have 1157 red and 1156 amber LED light bulbs.
So i got a couple, they were more expensive than i have found on ebay etc...
about $16 for the set.
The style they offer only has leds on the top. Probably less than 18 or so. Not sure. Looks like this.....

There were none mounted on the sides of the bulb and underneath like i have seen.
I was hesitant about them because i wasnt sure about the lower amount of LEDs and also the fact there were none mounted underneath to reflect light off the inside of the tail light.

but i figured i would try it out.
after talking a while with the autozone lady about their return policy on light bulbs.

Definitely a MAJOR improvement over a regular bulb. I am impressed.
Normally the tail lights seemed pinkish and not very bright. The LEDs are much brighter and definitely have the instant on characteristic that everyone talks about.

So im addicted now, and will be replacing all of my lights.

FormulaTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
bro i just checked out your hatch to see if that was the 'egg' you were talking about. i am impressed. the hx rims dont even look like hx rims since they are white.

it makes it even funnier that i am thinking about throwing on ziex tires on my hx rims haha.

anyway, you have convinced me to get the led setup. what have you tested so far? and how much did it run you? also how is the light pattern??

Old 09-23-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

On my altima I replaced all the bulbs to LED in the rear except the back up lights.

Not only it improves safety since they turn on faster but there was talk of fuel economy improvement.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
|V3|2D

i wont replace them for fuel economy, i will replace them for safety. that and i have a feeling im going to lose 1 or 2 bulbs in the next couple months. i am approaching the 230000 mile mark FAST and i bought the car when it had 180k on it. not one bulb has gone out yet...
Old 09-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
Supporting Member

LED conversions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
Went to my local Autozone today to check things out. Went in for oil actually, may be switching to 0w20 synthetic all around.
Anyways, was walking through and saw that they have 1157 red and 1156 amber LED light bulbs.
So i got a couple, they were more expensive than i have found on ebay etc...
about $16 for the set.
The style they offer only has leds on the top. Probably less than 18 or so. Not sure. Looks like this.....
If they are now at Autozone, then they really are becoming mainstream. However, price isn't everything with LEDs. I much prefer brightness, over (1-time) cost with these things, and many of the cheaper units skip on brightness to get the cost down.

Do you have any specs on how many "lumens" those units you have put out? Just by looking at them, they look like the older/dimmer/cheaper "bulbs" you can get from http://www.superbrightleds . Personally, having used both styles, I'm much happier with the $20/each single "Luxeon" (brand name) LED units I got from SuperBrightLeds. Unlike the multiple LED units, the "Luxeon" bulbs use the new (they have been around for the last couple of years, or so) LED tech. As a result, a single Luxeon LED is brighter (and uses less power) than a whole array of the older (and cheaper) style LEDs.

BTW: Here are the specs for the single Luxeon units I picked up. While these numbers might seem lower than a stock incandescent bulb (a stock 1156/1157 incandescent puts out about 402 lumens), keep in mind that LEDs are more beam focused (less light being wasted pointing backward, for example), and the light is in the right color (essentially no wasted light going through the colored lens, unlike normal incandescent bulbs). As a result, these Luxeon units are actually a lot brighter than incandescents in practice.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/115x-xLX3.htm
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
bro i just checked out your hatch to see if that was the 'egg' you were talking about. i am impressed. the hx rims dont even look like hx rims since they are white.

it makes it even funnier that i am thinking about throwing on ziex tires on my hx rims haha.

anyway, you have convinced me to get the led setup. what have you tested so far? and how much did it run you? also how is the light pattern??

The HX wheels are the way to go, extremely light weight. and still look good. I picked these up for like $200 or so. Not bad for an oem wheel that weighs 11lbs. I get a lot of compliments on them. Some people think they are Civic type R wheels....etc...

The ziex tires i wouldnt really recommend. They are really good CHEAP sticky tires. I got these for $35 each on edgeracing.com. They are good for blasting through corners. BUT, i have not experienced a very high tread life with these.

Just depends what you are after i guess. If you plan to autoX go for it. Just for FE then not so much.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFelis
As a result, these Luxeon units are actually a lot brighter than incandescents in practice.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/115x-xLX3.htm

Is there any way you could get a picture of these Luxeon units installed on your car. I am curious to see how that works out.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:42 AM   #8
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
Is there any way you could get a picture of these Luxeon units installed on your car. I am curious to see how that works out.
I've got a digital camera, and could easily snap a few photos. However, since this site doesn't allow attachments to messages, someone else will have to volunteer to host those photos. If anyone is interested in hosting these photos, please PM me.

BTW: What aspect of these units were you looking to see (so I know what pictures to take)? For example, are you looking to see how they are installed (in which case I should leave the "bulb" partially out, so you can see how I "installed" it). Or are you wondering what they look like from the outside (in which case I'll just tell you that the units are totally invisible behind my car lens, with only the LED light output showing)? Or are you interested in the color/brightness of the units (in which case I should take an external shot with the lights on full)? Or?
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
|V3|2D

i wont be auto-xing with the ziex tires just daily driving, which is very spirited daily, so cheap and sticky is exactly what i want. in a month my commute will go from 90minutes to 5minutes, so i dont really care about tread life just fun while being safe in less favorable weather conditions. eventually, i hope my wife will let me get r-comps for auto-x....

anyway. i am curious to see a side by side comparison of the leds vs the incandescent bulbs behind the lenses. i know it might be a bit much work but that would be the most interesting. one side with each.

how much brighter do you think it is over stock?
Old 09-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #10

Go figure, my AZ doesn't have the 1156 amber. I wish they just had clear 1156 and 1157's. I did pick up 1156 and 1157 PLUS some 194's for the Metro. Later I'll make the switch for the Wazabi (the Insight) as I plan on keeping that car until around 2012 or the end of the world - whichever comes first.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote