auxiliary lighting - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-27-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

auxiliary lighting

The headlights on my car just don?t put out enough light. I need to add some driving lights to make it easier to see at night. Should I be looking at Projector beams or is there another type of lights that uses less energy?

GasSavers_Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
Registered Member

uhh try cleaning the lenzes or getting new bulbs
headlights dim over time ya know...clean the contacts too. and please re aim them when you put in new bulbs!

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
The headlights on my car just don’t put out enough light. I need to add some driving lights to make it easier to see at night. Should I be looking at Projector beams or is there another type of lights that uses less energy?
You probably can find "E" code H4 headlamps for the Lincoln. H4 for the "low beam" location and H1 for the "high beam" location. Using an H4 bulb gives you many options for higher wattage bulbs and the sharp cutoff of the "E" code pattern lets you use it without blinding people. Plus the H4 is a low/high beam plus the H1 beam means serious light. You can use the original wiring, but if you go with higher wattage bulbs it is best to install heavier dedicated wiring relayed from the battery. Even if you use "normal" watt bulbs, the relayed wiring helps brighten things up a bit.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/headlamps.asp

The HID lighting uses less energy, but costs!!! Of course...

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Team OPEC Busters!

Off topic but I couldn't resist to prove how crazy I am. Here is my car from High school and college, talk about a gas hog, actually I could get 19 on the highway, then again it was 21 feet long and weighed in at over 5500lbs.

There were eight 100w aircraft landing lights and the high beams were swapped out for 100w each as well. So with the high beams I was running over 1000w, it was nice and bright Each ACL had a #10 wire fed from a relay that was energized from the high beams. They were in turn fed from dual 120amp batteries in the trunk and the batteries were connected to a 120 amp alternator via #4 wire. I actually had a circuit built that would let them “bounce” from left to right, talk about attention getting
GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Try this place
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
Old 04-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

Cibié Oscars are great!
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Off topic but I couldn't resist to prove how crazy I am. Here is my car from High school and college, talk about a gas hog, actually I could get 19 on the highway, then again it was 21 feet long and weighed in at over 5500lbs.

There were eight 100w aircraft landing lights and the high beams were swapped out for 100w each as well. So with the high beams I was running over 1000w, it was nice and bright Each ACL had a #10 wire fed from a relay that was energized from the high beams. They were in turn fed from dual 120amp batteries in the trunk and the batteries were connected to a 120 amp alternator via #4 wire. I actually had a circuit built that would let them ?bounce? from left to right, talk about attention getting
Dang Brock, that is nuts!!!! Yea I dont need no stinken sun shine.....it not bright enough anyway!!

When I was getting schooled in upper Michigan I had 400 watts, alternators would only last a couple of years. It sounds like you fixed that in your set-up.

Here is my attempt at bright lights, and early aerodynamics:

http://www.gassavers.org/attachment....7&d=1170105922

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
So with the high beams I was running over 1000w, it was nice and bright
So did you ever start grass fires just by driving by some dry grass? :-)
Old 04-28-2007, 02:52 AM   #9
Registered Member

Your Lincon has the same lights as mine When you replace the light you get awhole brandnew lens. Just get the stock replacements. I did this with all my solid light bulb cars. All headlights dull with age. Be happy, you get a brand new bulb and sealed lens for a fraction of the cost for the newer cars with plastic lenses. All my sealed beam cars were as bright as the other cars, with new lights.